it is reasonable to commute from Gilroy to San Jose?

Asked by Keith Kepler, Atlanta, GA Fri Jul 25, 2008

Answers

4
Sam Shueh, , San Jose, CA
Sun Aug 24, 2008
That depends on what your priorities are. Affordability, small town atmosphere, recreational opportunities, schools... Gas cost will not kill you 'cause you are likely to have >10 jobs in your career. Mortgage for 30 years will. Many employers allow their employees to work out of their house. There is such thing as VTA bus 68, Cal Train, and commuter lanes. Until you add up your scores for all home candidates, the total score speak for themselves. You will stay at your home longer than you do at work so you need to find a home you like and able to afford. When you evaluate all the parameters you will get the optimum answer.
Joanna Batem…, , San Jose, CA
Sat Aug 2, 2008
I have to agree with the previous answers, but you also may want to consider public transportation. There is a train running from Gilroy to SJ. And you will have to check, but there used to be a BULLET or Express train that was a non-stop. There is a carpool lane on 101, so carpooling, hybrid cars, and motorcycles usually go faster.
It really depends on your life style and type of home. Certainly the prices are lower in Gilroy than SJ, and the home prices keep dropping as you get out of the bay area. Keep in mind, you don't get tax assistance for gas and wear/tear on your vehicle, like you do for home ownership.
Have you checked out Willow Glen 95125? Its a cute neighborhood within SJ and the commute to Cisco, Yahoo, SUN, Google, etc... is great!
Gretchen Mer…, Agent, Morgan Hill, CA
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Hi Keith,

It depends on what you consider reasonable. I live in Morgan Hill - the town between Gilroy and San Jose. It is a 20 - 40 minute commute between Morgan Hill and San Jose, depending on where you're going in San Jose. Add on 15 minutes for the extra time from Gilroy.

There are beautiful homes at very good prices in Gilroy. So I guess you need to decide which is a higher priority to you: commute time vs. real estate quality. I've had people tell me that the commute from one side of San Jose to the other can take a long time during commute hours, so no matter where you choose to purchase, be sure to check the commute at high traffic times first.
Daniel Jeung, , Woodinville, WA
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Keith,

I used to live in San Jose and commuted to Santa Clara daily. Personally, I wouldn't make the commute from Gilroy to San Jose each day. Of course, I had a family and two small children. If you don't mind the commute and traffic, you can probably find a better value in Gilroy than in SJ. Also, if your work hours are flexible, then the commute might not be so bad.

When I was in college, I used to commute from San Jose to Lafayette for work daily (about 65 miles each way). I worked swing shift (3pm-midnight) so it only took about 1 hour each way, but I was single then and had nobody at home waiting for me each day.

Best of luck!

-Daniel