commute between Plum and Pitsburgh

Asked by Lia, Lake Hopatcong, NJ Fri Nov 20, 2009

How long, how busy, and how bad of a commute there is between Plum and Pittsburgh?

Answers

4
Dustin Nulf, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Mar 17, 2010
Don't do it lol. It takes me 30 minutes at least to get in to PGH from Forrest Hills which is, I'd say, 1/3 the distance you would have to drive. You'd have about a 1 hour commute.
Eric Thompson…, , Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 20, 2009
Lia - It's not a particularly long distance but you have the Squirell Hill tunnels to deal with. The commute time during rush hour is tough getting into the city and getting out. Lots of people do it though. If you're traveling off peak you'll be okay. Timing depends on where you are exactly but you're looking at 20 minutes without traffic or 45 minutes with traffic.
Web Reference:  http://www.eathompson.com
Cindy Palmer, Agent, Monroeville, PA
Fri Nov 20, 2009
Hi Lia,
As a current resident in Plum, I will be happy to discuss with you the areas and travel distances between the communities in Plum Borough and downtown. Please feel free to contact me directly at 412-607-7346.

Take care,
Cindy
Charlene Hai…, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Fri Nov 20, 2009
Lisa,

It kinda depends on where in Plum, where in Pittsburgh, and what time of day. Most likely one would come into Pittsburgh from Plum via I376 and have to pass through the Squirrel Hill Tunnels which are pretty much right at the city boundary. During rush hour, for what ever reason, cars just can't seem to maintain their speed through the tunnel ...... So there is always a huge jam up at that point.

Getting into the city during rush hour is a challenge from most any direction because we have tunnels and bridges to navigate from all compass points. So the lucky commuter is the one who can be flexible with their travel time. If you have to be Downtown between 8:30 and 9 (like thousands of others), then your commute time is easily doubled from what it would be if you arrived between 7 and 7:30, for instance.

So shifting your commute times will do much more for you than living a little closer in.