Which is a better plave to commute from Marietta or Roswell?

Asked by Andrew Fletcher, Washington, DC Mon May 19, 2008

Hi. We are moving to Atlanta and wish to live in the suburbs. My job is in Buckhead and we are thinking of living in Roswell or Marietta. Which is a better commuteand place to live. I have heard some bad stories about GA400. I will be leaving home around 7:15 and coming back around 4pm?

Answers

9
Kathy Seger & Ben Staten’s answer
Kathy Seger &…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Mon May 19, 2008
Congratulations on your move to Atlanta...you will love it here. If you will be working in Buckhead either Roswell or Marietta/East Cobb will be feasible for commuting. Ga400 does back up and once on it there are few choices to an alternative route. Marietta/East Cobb uses I-75 and again can back up however in my option you have more surface street choices. The time you will travel will help some.

Several comparison to consider....Roswell is in Fulton County, Marietta is in Cobb County. Cobb County real estate taxes are less and in most cases you will get more for your money. Both are wonderful areas to live in. Best of luck in your move!
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Tue Mar 24, 2009
I have commuted to and from Marietta and Roswell over the past 21 years, and from what I can tell, everyone seems to be in agreement that the difference between these two commutes - GA400 vs. I75 - is negligible.

Lisa Crowder asks the pertinent questions. Andrew, what are your reasons for choosing "the suburbs?"

I'll suggest just one inside the perimeter neighborhood for your consideration - one of Atlanta's mid-20th century suburban developments - Murphey Candler. See the web reference.

Here's the headline from their website: "The Murphey Candler Homeowners' Association represents 366 homes located in and around Murphey Candler Park, a northern Altanta Suburb."

We have suburbs intown too!

If you choose an Intown suburb, you will spend a lot less time looking at your windshield.
Web Reference:  http://mcha.clubexpress.com/
Phil Karp, , Roswell, GA
Thu Mar 19, 2009
Pretty quick commute at that those times of the day. East Cobb would be a good bet. There are many different routes to Buckhead from there and you can actually avoid GA400 altogether. I live on the border of Marietta/Roswell in East Cobb. We enjoy the benefits of a Roswell address with East Cobb taxes.:) Schools are some of the best in the area which keeps our values up. Good luck and let me know if I can help!
Dave, , Atlanta, GA
Fri May 23, 2008
The commutes are comparable. Roswell may be a better place to live in terms of restaurants. Schools in East Cobb county are the best. Your travel times will likely lead to a long commute
Kelly, Both Buyer And Seller, Marietta, GA
Thu May 22, 2008
I commute every day from West Cobb to Buckhead and average about 40-45 minutes. The 120 loops are a great lifesaver to get on just after things start getting messy after 285. I am currently selling my house due to a divorce and I am going to stay in the same area because I like it so much there. Hope this helps!
Deryk Harper, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon May 19, 2008
Hi Andrew,
I lived in Marietta off of Powers Ferry Rd (1-75 and Delk Rd area) for most of my life. We have now lived in Alpharetta ( just north of Roswell) for 4 years. I would have to agree with Kathy ( Red Hot Atlanta ) that the commute is about the same. For the time you are traveling home after work you should have a better commute on 400 than 75. Coming in they are about the same at 7:15 in the morning. It is also true that you have more side/alt route options in Cobb, lower taxes and usually more home for your money. Even so, we still like Alpharetta and the GA 400 corridor better. That's just a lifestyle choice for us though.

Depending on what you would consider an acceptable commute time you might also want to check out Duluth, Johns Creek, Milton, Alpharetta and even South Forsyth as other options. It seems like there is a lot more growth in those areas right now with new malls, restaurants, entertainment venues popping up everywhere. Best of luck in your search. If we can help you anywhere in the Roswell/Alpharetta area please let us know. You can search for properties anywhere in metro Atlanta on our website, http://www.keylocationsforyou.com.

Deryk Harper
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Realty North Atlanta
Web Reference:  http://www.keyhomefinder.com
Bill Pelot, Agent, Roswell, GA
Mon May 19, 2008
The lower property taxes and more stable government in Cobb County should be enough to influence your decision. You will also get more house for your money in Cobb. I am a Marietta resident having moved back after a mistaken move from Marietta to Roswell. Let me know if I can help you with your move.
Web Reference:  http://BestEastCobbHomes.Com
Lisa Crowder, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon May 19, 2008
What do you consider a "good place to live?" What's important to you? You're going to have a significant commute from either location. What has drawn you to Marietta and Roswell? There may be other neighborhoods closer to your job that could suit you equally well.
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Mon May 19, 2008
Andrew,

Roswell or Marietta aren't much different when it comes to commute time to Buckhead. It really depends on the exact location you wind up living that will determine the best routes for your commute.

There are some great communities to consider and there are many homes to choose from right now. I would be happy to assist you with your home search here in the Atlanta area. I've lived in Marietta myself and know the area well. In addition I'm a relocation specialist and understand the needs of families moving here from out of state for work.

Feel free to contact me If you need some assistance.

James Dudley
ERA Sunrise Realty
678-781-7418
james.dudley@era.com