What would the commute be like from Mill Valley to Redwood City? Too crazy?

Asked by Dryfly, Mill Valley, CA Fri Nov 6, 2009

Current commute is Bernal Heights to Redwood City (most days by car, some days by train), but we are currently looking to move to Mill Valley for better schools, access to outdoors, etc. Is a commute from MV to RWC just too crazy to even consider?

Answers

7
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Jun 21, 2011
Recommend for you drive it yourself determine truth of how you can handle this situation OR find alternate routes
Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Cliff Perotti, Agent, Corte Madera, CA
Tue Jun 21, 2011
I did this very commute for 18 months. It all depends on the side of Redwood City that you're on..the 101 side or the 280 side. If on the 280 side, it will take 50 minutes via 19th st or Sunset (faster most of the time). If you are heading to the 101 side of Redwood City, give an hour. There is no real transit system to make this commute, so driving is best...time for some good "books on CD".
Naveen Peder…, Agent, Mill Valley, CA
Wed Dec 30, 2009
Again..it's the life style you're picking for your family over extra time spent on the road for you....Dads sacrifice!
Learn a language, Rossetta stone can be a total source of pleasure, be it Italian or Spanish.or Mandarin!
Naveen Peder…, Agent, Mill Valley, CA
Wed Dec 23, 2009
Using 19th Ave and 280 during the absolute rush hour which I would say is 7:30am to 9am, it would take just about an hour and this is being very realistic. Some days there are glitches that may delay it- specially with the plans of retrofitting Doyle Drive, even getting on to 19th Ave. right there near the Presidio and the tunnel may become an issue. On a good day it could take less than hour. If you stagger your driving hours,...all of these dynamics change.
When choosing to live in Mill Valley it's the life style you are buying, great schools, beautiful nature, a great ambiance both indoors and out. It's a life changing decision!
E Sanders, , Mill Valley, CA
Tue Dec 15, 2009
I commuted from Mill Valley to Redwood City for 9 months about 5 years ago and loved it. I was able to work a later (9:00 am start time) commute so traffic (except Friday evening) was not bad. Took about an hour and 280 is a joy to drive. About 3 months before the job unexpectedly went to India, I purchased a Honda and got and extended warranty to cover the excess mileage going on the car. Keep in mind that I enjoy driving.
Maryann Pear…, Agent, Larkspur, CA
Tue Dec 1, 2009
I commuted for years from Mill Valley to SFO Intern't. I took me about 40 minutes door to door, unless there was a big trafffic snafu. this was using 19th ave. to 280. I guess Redwood City is another 15 to 20 minutes, so it's an hour commute, give or take. I never minded it....books on tape, music--but it's 2 hours out of your day. i'd definitely try it a few times before making the decision. there are some good schools on the penninsula--though i love mill valley and would never move south. Maryann
Tristan Cela…, , Marin County, CA
Sun Nov 8, 2009
Hey Dryfly,

Years ago I was a tenant in Laguna Beach. My landlord commuted to Santa Monica. Personally I thought he was mad but...

I live in Mill Valley and my wife commutes to the financial district daily. She takes a commuter bus and it's about 3/4 hour travel time on each leg. Add that together with your experience.

There are many definitions of crazy. You're not crazy for appreciating the attractions of Marin - I do too.