What town is affordable, with less then an hour commute to NYC for young professionals?

Asked by Kad72490, Foxboro, MA Tue Feb 19, 2013

I'm looking to buy a condo/apartment outside of NYC with a commute less then an hour by train or bus. I'm from New Hampshire so I don't know much about surrounding areas. I'm in my mid 20s and am hoping for at least a potential for some night life.

Answers

9
John W. Chang, MBA, Broker’s answer
John W. Chang…, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Mar 13, 2013
Firstly, It is important to find out if you prefer to live in the city proper (i.e. one of the five boroughs), as opposed to commuting from New Jersey, or Long Island. Secondly, it is important to find out your price range, which may or may not limit your options (the closer you are to Manhattan the higher rent will be).

If you prefer to live in the city and have access to the subway system (which will make for quick commuting, and be cheaper than commuting by way of LIRR, Path or MetroNorth) then I would recommend the outer neighbrohood of Brooklyn or perhaps some of the more suburban neighborhoods of Queens.
vish.all.well, Home Buyer, Jersey City, NJ
Thu Feb 21, 2013
Explore - Ridgefield Park in NJ - 20 minutes by Bus to Port Authority and 15 minutes drive to Manhattan...Connected via Highways yet isolated to feel like a village...
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Wed Feb 20, 2013
If you want to see apartments/condo in Queens or any of the boroughs, please contact me. My name is Tanuja and I can be reached at 347-882-0353.
Amy Rea, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Feb 19, 2013
If you are considering investing in another state or another area, you will not in the future be able to really get your foot back INTO Manhattan city in the more distant future.
As we slowly plod back from the crash in 1997/1998, prices and values in the city will continue to climb. There are locations that are north of 110th Street that may offer the surprise to you for another chance. Remember, when you sell whatever property you are now on the verge of finding to purchase, when it comes to moving on, a Manhattan property may hold and increase its value surprisingly better than outside of the city.

The city never sleeps, the trains and buses run, perhaps your answer is still here in New York City.

There will be a Broker's Open House RIVER TO RIVER in April, for all listings north of 110th Street, east to west.

Some are HDFC Coops, but some are condos or coops. There's more to New York than meets the inexperienced eye. If you see what you like, you may be very happy here after all.
Jerry Trudell, Agent, NY,
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Why not consider Queens? There are a lot of nice "towns" in Queens that are affordable and within an hours commute or less, that is assuming that you are planning on commuting to Manhattan
I believe that there are a number of "towns" in Queens with great restaurants and nitelife
, The plus is that you also have use of the NYC subway system, which is clean, efficent, and 24 hours. A monthly "unlimited" metro card would also cover all of your commuting costs, as well as your after hours recreational transportation needs, like stopping by the Village on your way home, or checking out another venue, such as the Met, Lincoln Center, or the latest in film or off off Broadway theatre offerings. You could save thousands in commuting costs and have more flexibility and convenience as well. If you want me to show you around some of the neighborhoods in Queens , I am a fellow
New-Englander, from Vermont, so I may be well equipped to be your tourguide/ agent with my "New England" sensibilities and New York knowledge. . Just give me a call if you have any questions at
917-995-5064

Jerry Trudell
Licensed Real Estate agent
The Bouklis Group
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue Feb 19, 2013
You might want to consider a few commuter-friendly towns in NJ like.... Montclair, S. Orange or Morristown, just to name a few. All of those towns are served by NJ Transit's MidTown Direct train - direct service into NY's Penn Station...the ride will range from 35-50 min, depending on the station. Lots of people commute to the city from this area.

If you share your price range, I will be able to help direct you, and let you know of one of these options is feasible.

There is some nightlife in these towns............restaurants and movies............Morristown and Montclair have theaters that also offer entertainment/shows/ concerts..........great "walking" towns with boutiques and sports bars.............things to do for someone in your age range.

Your price range will be important information to help put this together!

Good luck...let me know if I can be of help.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Much will depend on your budget; if you are interested in Queens or Nassau County areas check http://www.mlsli.com
Stan Pau, , New York, NY
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Hi Kad

It is really depend on your buying power. There is Co-op around in Queens an Brooklyn for lower price budget.

Stan Pau | Licensed RE Salesperson
Sales, Rentals and Corporate Relocation | REBNY Member
Spire Group - A Kurland Holdings Co
20 West 23rd Street, 5th Fl.
New York, NY 10010
212-500-1900 (office) 646-312-9244 (cell)
http://www.SpireGroupNY.com
orit kahalani, Agent, manhattan, NY
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Well I really like Brooklyn. For so may different reasons. However based on your budget I can recommend areas. Although this days you can still get good deals in nyc too