What are some good areas in the East Bay that have reasonable commuting times to Palo Alto?

Asked by Margarita, Oakland, CA Sun Jan 27, 2008

I will be moving to the Bay Area and am looking for a reasonably safe, interesting neighborhood in the East Bay (where I have a social circle) that is not too far to commute to and from Palo Alto (where I will be working)--hopefully no more than 40-45 minutes of driving time. I like Oakland (used to live near Lake Merritt) but would not rule out San Leandro or San Lorenzo if I can find a neighborhood & house I like. I prefer older houses (pre-1940), and most of what I've seen in San Leandro and further down are newer homes. Are there safe neighborhoods in Oakland, San Leandro, or San Lorenzo that are close to the 580 or 880 and within 40-45 minutes (at least in good traffic!) of Palo Alto/Stanford?

Answers

4
Graham M. Lo…, Agent, Franklin, TN
Mon Jan 28, 2008
Margarita- Also check out the hill areas of Hayward and Castro Valley. You can find some nice older homes there too. As mentioned, you need to know your price range, and since TRAFFIC is really bad, I'd suggest doing a test run during your commute time to see what works for you. One thing more to keep in mind, the East Bay has several fault zones that they say could be due for major movement. Also there are areas that are located in flood zones. Have your insurance agent run a CLUE report on any prospective homes. Good Luck!
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sun Jan 27, 2008
Margarita......

Welcome back to the East Bay!

If you are looking for pre-1940 homes your best choice would be Alameda, Oakland i.e. neighborhoods of Montclair, Rockridge, Trestle Glen and Estudillo Estates in North San Leandro. These areas will put you at the 45 minute mark with no traffic.

The neighborhoods tend to provide lot's of charm and are well respected neighborhoods. As a native of the East Bay I have lived, worked and went to school in these cities so this is my personal experience.

Another area that would make you commute easier would be closer to the Dumbarton Bridge. The only neighborhood that would fit the bill would be the Niles District of Fremont.

Your post did not say what price range you are considering so I am hesitant on suggesting some Peninsula areas that could work. If you can provide this I can make some other suggestions.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Lisa Cartola…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sun Jan 27, 2008
Hi Margarita,

Well welcome back to the East Bay!

There are several areas in San Leandro and Oakland that might be a good fit for you. It will depend some on your specifications for where you want to live. Are you looking to be walking distance to amenities? Close to public transportation? The farther South you go, obviously the better you commute.

Maxwell Park in Oakland has access to both 580 and 880 and most of the homes in the area were built in the 20's and 30's. There is also Millsmont area which is close to Maxwell Park and both areas are located near Mills College campus.

There is also a nice area of Oakland located on the San Leandro border called Sheffield Village. There are also definitely areas of San Leandro that have homes built pre-1940 although you are right in your assessment that a lot of homes located in San Leandro and San Lorenzo are more mid century or newer. I think there are a lot of options available for you in the areas you are considering.

Obviously without knowing all the details of your desires in a home and an area it is hard to really point to one. If you would like to discuss further I could send you listings that might meet your criteria.
Web Reference:  http://www.lisacartolano.com
Andrea Davis, , Fremont, CA
Sun Jan 27, 2008
Margarita: The answer to you question is ABSOLUTELY! San Leandro and San Lorenzo both have lovely neighborhoods and excellent communities. I've met many people over the years who wouldn't consider living anywhere else. I urge you to connect with a local expert - and one of my co-workers is highly skilled in that area. She is Joy Elliott, and you can reach her through her website: http://www.JoyInRealEstate.com Good luck.