Griff, Home Buyer in California

Walnut Creek to Pleasanton commute

Asked by Griff, California Mon Jul 28, 2008

South in the morning, North back home. Considering a move from out of state and I don't have a clue what to expect. Likely to leave the house around 6:30a and begin the trip back about 5.

Answers

5
Hi Grif - I live in Walnut Creek and often go to Pleasanton for a 7am meeting. No problems. If you are on the road at 6:30 the commute is about 30 minutes to downtown Pleasanton. Coming back at 5pm is a little longer, maybe 45 minutes. It can get worse depending on conditions and accidents.

You can get weekly market reports via the link below. I'll be updating them in about an hour. You can contact me by phone 925-895-2694 or via email john@harpermees.com if you have further questions
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
You're good to go in the AM. The 5:00 northbound trip is not so rosy. The 24 junction simply causes ugly backups. It might be 40 minutes on some days.
If you have other questions, contact me vickie@BestTriValleyHomes.com
Kind Regards,
Vickie Nagy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 28, 2008
The other answers are great. It depends on what part of WC. If you are going to the Kaiser area, you can take Danville Blvd/Main St and skip a lot of the worst traffic. If you are going to Cowell Rd or Clayton Rd then it will take 30-45 mins in the afternoon. With light traffic and depending where in WC/Pton you are heading, the trip can be made in 20mins but traffic is usually heavy during commute hours, even sometimes on weekends.
Hi Griff-

I know someone that just moved from Walnut Creek to Danville that works in Pleasanton. Thier commute was shaved from 45 min to about 20. If you are considering the the Walnut Creek area, you might also consider the Danville area. Another possibility would be south Walnut Creek (Rudgear Rd. area) which would allow you to exit before the 680/24 interchange or take back roads if things are too bad.
Griff,

I no longer live in the bay area (grew up in Danville), but I've realized in my many years of commuting that sometimes, the toughest part of the commute is just getting to the freeway from your front door. As Vickie stated, the 680/24 intersection can be a problem. If it were me, I'd try to just jump on 680 from Walnut Creek to avoid the junction (or exit before the junction on the way home). Your average commute will likely be in the 30-45 minute range. Have you thought about Dublin?

-Daniel