WHere to live between Columbia MD and Ft Belvoir?

Asked by milkauskas, Fort Belvoir, VA Mon Sep 2, 2013

Hi my husband will be accepting a position in Columbia MD. I am hoping to take a job at Fort Belvoir. We currently are living in SF Bay area. We are looking for a location about half way which would be a reasonable commute for both. I am open to mass transit my husband likes to drive.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Answers

5
John Ginty, Agent, Reston, VA
Tue Sep 3, 2013
Alexandria would be perfect. You can also consider areas such as Arlington, Falls Church, and McLean. I am happy to help you find the right property. Feel free to sign up for a free listing alert on my website http://www.JohnGintySells.com. You can also reach me at 703-307-3449.

John Ginty
Keller Williams Capital Properties Fairfax
10300 Eaton Pl, Suite 120
Fairfax, VA 22030
JohnGinty@kw.com

http://www.JohnGintySells.com
milkauskas, Home Buyer, Fort Belvoir, VA
Tue Sep 3, 2013
Thank you all for your responding. I have two potential opportunities, one is at NIH which would be preferred. Fort Belvoir is my second choice but at this point its too soon to tell. We would be renting initially until we really decided that we like our jobs and the area. THis bring us to another question. We do have 2 cats. How diffiicult is it to rent a nice place that will except pets? At least a 3 br/2 bath, some type of patio or outdoor space, as much privacy as possible. I would love to be close to water for jogging, walking etc.. I am also a Vet so would like to be close to a VA if needed for healthcare. i am thinking of a price range of 2500-3000. Is that realistic? Thanks, Gina
very realistic Gina ,I have nice 2bd ,2 full bath condo at hallmark :) Owners will consider pets .For more info check listing on my website http://www.elvirajakovac.com
For close to water places -river Towers probably best place (next to Potomac) or belle View
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Elvira Jakov…, Agent, Alexandria, VA
Tue Sep 3, 2013
Alexandria of course :) it is very convenient .
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Tue Sep 3, 2013
That's going to be rough on one or both of you. The commute will be a killer.

I'd suggest something close to D.C., either in Virginia or Maryland. The problem is there are only three ways to get from Virginia to Maryland: The American Legion Bridge, the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, or through D.C. Working in Fort Belvoir, that rules out The American Legion Bridge. And you probably wouldn't want to go through D.C. So that leaves the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, unless there's some major tie-up on it...in which case you'd go through D.C. as a back-up.

Alexandria is a good possibility. Areas of it are right on the Beltway or south on 95. It's relatively close to Fort Belvoir. There's plenty of mass transit. There are all types of communities, so you probably could find housing you'd like. The drawback is that your husband would have a relatively long commute and would have to cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

Prince George's County, right across the bridge in Maryland, is the other logical possibility. It would even out commuting times somewhat. There's a lot of affordable housing in PG County. Areas are very close to the Beltway (495/95). The drawback is that (as far as I know) there isn't any viable mass transit from PG County to Fort Belvoir. Basically, DC is a hub, with the exception of the Metro--the subway system--not much goes through from Maryland to DC. There are some nice commuter rail lines--VRE in Virginia and MARC in Maryland, but they don't cross over. They both end in D.C.

If you're still looking, you really might want to consider employment on the Maryland side. If not, then Alexandria and PG County are your two best options.

Chris Ognek, Agent, Fredericksburg, VA
Tue Sep 3, 2013
Tough question because it will all depend on price range, for either a rental or a purchase. One of the biggest things to consider is taxes - MD is much higher on taxes and all of my clients, when faced between trying to choose between MD and VA, have chosen VA primarily for that reason. The next question will be commute times - what do you want your maximum times to be? Challenging since you are both working about the same distance from the center of DC. Some of the highest end homes are in Maclean and Vienna, VA and it looks like it might be a nice middle ground for both of you. Fairfax County has some of the top schools in the country so the entire county offers a lot of great areas to choose from. If you like the older city feel, Olde Town Alexandria might be a good place to look. If you decide to look in MD, Bethesda and Silver Spring are nice areas.