Rnmteed1, Renter in Seattle, WA

Looking to shorten a commute.....and resources for a single mom

Asked by Rnmteed1, Seattle, WA Thu Mar 14, 2013

Hi all, I currently live in Everett and commute to Burien for work. I also am getting a divorce and am looking to relocate in the next few months closer to work for health reasons. So I wanted to ask, a) what's a reverse commute and / or short driving time to Burien for work, from a family friendly community approx. 20-30 minutes from Burien? Also, are there legit real estate agents out there that can help a single mom out, with rentals, maybe rent to own properties? (I only say legit because I have run into some shady characters lately....no insult intended to the real agents out there.) Thanks for the info and suggestions!

Answers

8
stephen webb…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Wed Mar 27, 2013
Good Morning
Commute is very definitly unhealthy. Everyone who has communted and are now living close to their work brag about their communte. A telling traight.
Your purchase price or rent you will pay will to some degree dictate your choices of where to live.
If you can, purchase as soon as possible. The market is on fire and will continuse appreciating very fast. Unusuall opportunity but no surprise.
An experienced ethical real estate agent could serve your situation. Rent or buy and where. So a few suggestions for you. First read the article Consultation, Interviewing Real Estate Agents. You find the article and a few others that will serve you on Your-Road-Home.com.
Gather information, all you can. Than begin the process of selecting your agent. The results will prove well worth your time and effort. An experienced ethical agent will work in your interest and so help in your decision of location and purchase or rent. Also read the article Consultation, Interviewing Loan Officers.
After 34 years of real estate it has become apparent that it is worth living in a smaller place if it reduces the commute. When you think through your schedule and realize how much of the day is "your time' the commute time becomes a major factor. Add the stress factor and all becomes very clear.
Wishing You The Best, stephen
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Fri Mar 15, 2013
I really agree with most of what has been said below by others. Either buy right away if you can or just rent to keep things simple for a while. Make sure you keep your credit together as much as possible.
As to the commute & neighborhoods, you want to go in a reverse direction to the normal traffic flows. Take a look at the freeway maps during your normal commute times. Good luck with your search.

Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Rnmteed1, Renter, Seattle, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!
Lucia Thoreby, Agent, BELLEVUE, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Any broker in real estate can help you find a home based on your needs.
First do some homework: pre qualify yourself so you know the direction to take. then screen and select a real estate broker who can look out for your best interest.
Ray Akers, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
You should look into Federal Way, Kent, Renton, and Auburn. Any of those communities will afford you an easier commute, and there are some good schools in each city.

Regarding rent-to-own (lease-purchase option), I recommend taking things one step at a time. It's wisest to rent for now. Get comfortable with your new community first, and then seek out a reputable real estate agent to help you explore lease-purchase options (which are typically few).

To find an agent, talk to friends, neighbors, co-workers, and family. An agent referral from some you know is golden. Someone you know already knows a good agent that can help you. Good luck.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Rnmteed,
South King County will have several affordable options for you, but be very careful with any "rent to own" situations. There are scams that purport to offer this and in addition to finding a "legit" agent in the area, if you elect to pursue this option, find someone experienced in analyzing these. No sense starting your new life and getting caught up with a questionable arrangement.
You may be best off keeping it simple and just renting for a while to get used to your new surroundings and prepare yourself to make a purchase at a later date. If you have questions about your credit or the capability to qualify for a mortgage in the near future, meet with a lender sooner rather than later. Resolving credit issues can take time, divorce can create several surprises on a credit report. If a card was issued jointly, but the decree leaves him in charge of it, you could still be hurt by his lack of payment. Meet with a lender now, even if you are a year away.
Good luck in your new life.
John Stewart, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
There is a Coldwell Banker Bain office in Kent. Ask for the principle managing broker (Debra Snoey) and describe your needs to her.
I'll put her link below.

Johan Tong, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Hi there,

In terms of location, have you thought about Renton and South King County? Or even stay in Olympia during this transition time?
In terms of finding a legit agent, I can certainly appreciate what you shared about shady characters. My farming area is in North Seattle. If you are to look for rental or something cheap to buy in south King County, I would not have recommendation for you. But you can always Google agents to find out more about them and use Zillow and Trulia to see what their past client said about them. I would say reviews are good indications. Good luck!! If you are looking in Olympia, I would have recommendation for you. Let me know if you do.

Johan Tong
Century 21 North Homes Realty, Inc.