mikethesocce…, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

Is commutting from Gilbert to Deer Valley 5 times a week too much?

Asked by mikethesoccerplayer, Phoenix, AZ Thu Apr 24, 2014

I am from Gilbert but me and my family (wife, two kids, and big dog) have been living in the DC area for the past four years. We are moving back Phoenix. We have family that lives in Gilbert and we want to be near them since we have been away for so long. The biggest problem is my new job is located in Deer Valley. The office is literally a half a mile from the 101. IS commuting from Gilbert to Deer Valley too much driving and too much time in the car? How long of a drive would it be? What are some other areas similar to Gilbert between Deer Valley and Gilbert?

Answers

7
It could become tiring after awhile...
Maybe MapQuest or Google from where you'll be leaving, to where you're going, around the time you'll be traveling, and that may give you an accurate commute time. :)

Rebecca Kallhoff
1(480)275-9566
rebeccakallhoff@remax.net
http://www.RebeccaSellsAZ.com
Hi Mike,

During rush-hour, it will definitely be a long commute (probably an hour or more). You could look to purchase a home in the Tempe or Scottsdale areas - this would cut your commute time yet you would still be in the East Valley and close to Gilbert.

Hope this helps!
It depends on what time of day you would be making the drive. This is a really long drive and you u should consider investing in some audio books if you decide to live this far from where you work.
Mike,

There are wonderful homes in the Deer Valley area. I live here myself. I actually worked for a Corporate 100 Company in Deer Valley as well. The commute in Phoenix is not a pretty one on a daily basis. If you want to visit family, I think you would be better off living in the North Valley and commuting to visit them, rather than commuting to work on a daily basis. Based on the other responses, I believe it is hands down. Commuting is awful in this city.
yes it would be a long commute cant you find somewhere closer to Deer Valley to live it also depends on the hour you have to be at work and the time you get out of work the freeways are always jam pack a round 0600 to 8 or900 in the morning and in the afternoon its starts around 4PM TO 630 pm
Monday thru Friday if you have the money for gas and car maintenances then go for it. But I wouldn't
In my opinion that commute is unrealistic and costly to do for any length of time. Too much gas, too much time, too much stress.

Find a location in between.
It all depends on your tolerance for driving! For me, yes, that would be much too long of a commute 5 days a week. Each way I would estimate would take minimum one hour, depending on traffic, which is usually heavy on the prime routes between those two locations. The area around Deer Valley has seen tremendous growth and the living opportunities are plentiful, either to rent or buy. North Phoenix along I-17 and the 101 has sprouted new living opportunities as have nearby Peoria and Glendale.