Is commute from NYC to NJ bad by car?

Asked by Abhishek6383, 10029 Sun Feb 26, 2012

My gf works in Manhattan and I want to live with her and she loves Manhattan and that is here she wants to be. I however just changed jobs and that is in Parsipanny ,NJ. Do you think it will be crazy of me to commute everyday from NYC to NJ by car. My girl friend and other people around me say that commute wont be bad as traffic will be in other direction. Please suggest..

Answers

5
Adam Krzesni…, Agent, Jackson Heights, NY
Fri Aug 3, 2012
Rush hours there is most likly 20-30 in bound traffic delay on Holland or Lincoln tunnel.
In my opinion it wouldnt be that bad!
Jacques Ambr…, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012
No matter where you are in the tristate area you'll run into some traffic, but for sure going against traffice is going to be a fairly reasonable commute. Just bear in mind that lanes get adjusted toward the city in the A.M. thereby leaving less lanes goint to N.J. and vice versa in the P.M.
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Feb 27, 2012
Abhishek6383,
I understand your concern. Your commute from Manhattan to NJ is in the opposite direction than most of the traffic. I would suggest you try the commute and see for yourself. Get into the city early one morning, on a day off. Come early to beat the rush hour traffic in, and so that you will be leaving Manhattan early at a time you would be leaving if you were actually commuting.
I don't know if you've picked your neighborhood yet, but to commute by car to NJ, you would really want to be on the West Side rather than the East Side.
Also, as mentioned below, you will need to also consider the cost of a garage space.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com for all NYC listings
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Mon Feb 27, 2012
I think that since you are going out of the city to get to work it shouldn't be as difficult as your friends suggest. However, keep in mind that you will have additional travel and parking expenses to take into consideration: daily tolls, bridge & tunnel costs,gas and of course parking.
Web Reference:  http://www.joancongilose.com
Oleg Polonsky, Agent, brooklyn, NY
Sun Feb 26, 2012
It is not that bad, actually, because you will be reverse-commuting. The problem is not so much the commute. The problem is finding affordable parking in NYC. If you can afford several hundred dollars per month to park in the garage - then you will be OK.