I need some insight on the commute time from Manalapan, NJ to Manhattan (downtown)? Is it really that bad?

Asked by Josephine, Brooklyn, NY Wed May 28, 2008

Answers

7
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat May 31, 2008
Josephine,

There are many buyers who commute to NY who specifically seek out Marlboro and Manalapan for their home. We have 3 very serious buyers at the moment who fit that description, and 1 just went under contract. The other two are looking…literally every day. I have had in depth discussions with them about commute times and options for transportation.

Route 9 narrows to 2 lanes and there are bottlenecks there during peak times as a result. An important consideration will be how far you are from a Park and Ride, bus stop, train station, or the route which is the access point for you to reach a highway.

There are buyers who will specifically search East of Route 9, which narrows the options. Others will search only within a short distance of Route 9 in either direction to lighten the commute time.

The commute time is a definite consideration and top of the mind topic when considering Manalapan/Marlboro as a home and reaching NYC on a regular basis. However, it is quite doable, and you will be in good company, since many of the neighbors and residents in the area have chosen this area as their home with those same considerations.

If you want specific help, please let me know.

Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group
732 530-6350
Phyllis Katz, , Manalapan, NJ
Tue Jul 28, 2009
When you did the commute to Manhattan, had they fixed the tie-up in Old Bridge near route 34?
That was a killer years ago, but now that they have widened the road over there, the traffic flows much better. I know I take the bus sometimes.

Phyllis
Phyllis Katz, , Manalapan, NJ
Tue Jul 28, 2009
If you are taking the bus to Port Authority from say Union Hill Rd during rush hour, it probably takes a little more than an hour. If you are taking the bus to Wall St area, then it probably takes about 10 minutes less. I used to live in Sheepshead Bay, and the commute from there was probably longer. I hope this information helps. I've taken the bus many times, and I think it is ok.

Phyllis Katz
Weichert Realtors
455 Route 9 South
Manalapan, NJ 07726
(732) 536-4400 x 142 (office)
(732) 804-3057 (cell)
wwwPhyllisKatzsellshomes.com
Gail and JoA…, Agent, Manalapan, NJ
Tue Nov 25, 2008
It is only too well that I know about the commute from Manalapan into Lower Manhattan. I did it for years! Academy Bus Lines is the bus carrier for the Lower Manhattan route.

http://www.academybus.com/commuters_FaresTicketInfo.asp

I will never forget when I bought my first home here, 16 years ago, and my realtor told me "1 hour, door to door"

Well, that was a bit of an exaggeration!

You probably won't believe me, but when I stopped commuting to stay home with my kids, I missed it!

I used to do all my fun reading on the bus! I'm not sure if I've finished a book since that time!

There was also a nice sense of camaraderie amongst the commuters! We'd see each other EVERY day!

Please feel free to give me a call if you would like more detail about what it was like to commute from here.
Web Reference:  http://www.JoTheRealtor.com
Purnima Talw…, Agent, Morganville, NJ
Sun Jun 15, 2008
NJ is the bedroom for NY, every one goes to work and comes home at night. I know some times the commute might get hectic, and it is still worth the life style. People who commute have done it for years and years and do not regret. I think everything is relative and a matter of getting use to. Some parts of Manalapan Marlbor are very convinient and the buses are very frequent in rush hours, some areas have express buses. So depending on the time of the day and your destination, it might not be as bad as you think.
Joan Congilo…, Agent, Freehold, NJ
Wed Jun 11, 2008
Hi Josephine
I'm a realtor in Manalapan & the commute time will depend on the time of day you commute & type of transportation. Some people leave on off times & drive in by car in about an hour. .However, if you are like most & depending on mass transportation bus or train you can expect a commute of about 1.5 hours.
Some people prefer to drive to Matawan train station & take the train others take the bus off thr Rte 9 corridor.If you can try to find a home walking distance to a bus stop or you'll have to obtain a permit to a park n ride lot for the bus or the train. Those are hard to get & there is a waiting list,
Web Reference:  http://www.joancongilose.net
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Wed May 28, 2008
It depends on your time of departure. Route 9 can get a bit messy in the 7:30 - hour. It also depends upon your mode of transprotation. The bus is comfortable, but an take some time in the evening rush hour. As with anything else timing is everything. What time do you need to be in the city and how do you want to do it?

Email me for more information. I will openingthe new Orange Key Realty office in Marlboro / Manalapan and I can help with some insight to the commute with your options.

John Sacktig
Broker / Sales Associate
Orange Key Realty
732-213-1409

JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com