I'm considering moving to Fairfield CT and would have to commute to Purchase NY - would this be a bad decision from my part?

Asked by Diego, 06614 Wed Mar 9, 2011

Answers

9
Forum5383, , Stratford, CT
Fri Nov 11, 2011
Hopefully you haven't gone through with this yet. These people flat out lied and did not include the facts. Fairfield county has some of the worst traffic in the country. Your commute is going to be 2 hours each way and somehow, the rush hour is anytime throughout the day.
Forum5383 you are completely right, i work in Tarrytown and live in Stratford...and it is the worst commuting experience i have ever had. I leave at 6 am on the dot, just so I dont hit traffic on the way to work, and no matter the time i leave work, it takes me 1.5-3 hrs to get home...i have tried every road, every route, back roads, you name it...makes no difference.
Flag Fri Jul 18, 2014
Helene Daly, Agent, Fairfield, CT
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Hi Diego,
Did you ever make the move to Fairfield? You can take back roads and avoid traffic.
Helene D
Stephanie Ba…, Agent, Southport, CT
Mon Feb 27, 2012

I guess the way you break it down is by asking yourself the following questions:
- Can I take the train to work; or does the town or company provide a shuttle from the
train station to my office (if not in walking distance).
-What is my motivation for wanting to choose Fairfield?
1. Is it that I am comparing taxes in Fairfield to Westchester County?
2. Did I read something favorable about the school system?
3. Am I choosing to live in a Town, and not a City in CT.
4. In choosing a Town, and wanting to be on the train line and have quick access to the highways; am I choosing Fairfield over Darien, Westport or Greenwich because I can find more house in my price-range?

Fairfield is a great place to live - no doubt about it, but when it comes to commuting long distances, the train
really is the answer, and the train is also why towns on the train line tend to have higher real estate values...
But if you have to drive, it is true that you will sit on i-95 for hours there and hours back... I did
it for years and it is not fun. The train is the way to go.
Here is a link to the schedule: http://www.mta.info/index.html

Also, Fairfield's second train station just opened this past December and the station is called, Fairfield Metro Station...

Best of luck!
Steph
Robin Lynch, , Westchester County, NY
Sat Mar 12, 2011
Hi Diego,

I live in Harrison, NY in which Purchase is located. Your best bet is to take the Merritt South which becomes the Hutchinson River Parkway. If you are working at MasterCard, Pepsi or one of the other big corporations located along Purchase Street, you would get off at Exit 27. The train would not serve your needs as the closest train station would be located in Rye. Don't know though if your company offers a shuttle service though. Anyway here is a map of the New Haven line (red) from the MTA:

http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Again your best bet would be the Merritt Parkway.
Cathy Carrano, Agent, Southport, CT
Wed Mar 9, 2011
Personally, I love the town of Fairfield. I have been a homeowner here for 16 years. I'd be happy to share my insights with you.
Do you work in Purchase now? If you plan to commute during rush hour, you will likely hit a lot of traffic on I-95 or the Merritt. I used to commute from Fairfield to NYC daily via Metro North and it never bothered me. It depends on your tolerance for commuting. If you have flexibility in the time you will be driving and if you have the ability to telecommunute on occasion, you could cut down you commuting time considerably. It's also good to know the back roads.
No, I don't think it would be a bad decision, but I sense there are other factors involved. Feel free to send me a note if I can help you further. Good luck!
Candace Lipi…, Agent, Norwalk, CT
Wed Mar 9, 2011
Depending on from what point in Fairfiled to what point in Purchase it's about 35 miles distance. You would use 95 or the Merritt to the Hutch and connect over 287. With no traffic you are traveling about 35- 40 mins. Of course traffic in the morning rush and afternoon return could add about another 20-30 mins. It all depends on what time you have to be to your destination and what time you can return.
Many do it. Now the question is why you wish to live in Fairfield. As mentioned below only you can decide that.
So now that you know the commute, make a list of the pros and weigh that against your travel time.
If in need of further information you can check out the Town of Fairfield website or feel free to contact me.

Good Luck

"Your Beacon to Fairfield County Lifestyles"

Candace Lipira, Realtor
Keller Williams Platinum Properties
203-856-8501 cell
203-544-9786 home
candylipira@optonline.net
candylipirahomes.com
Tim Kellerman…, , Fairfield County, CT
Wed Mar 9, 2011
I was raised and live here in Fairfield. Many in this community commute to NY city and other parts of NY, Westchester County and such. By train it is about and hour and fifteen min. to Grand Central. You would have to get off in Stamford CT and get on a local train to purchase. You can check out Fairfield to Purchase on the Metro North Commuter Railroad Website. It can be done by train, or one of 2 major highways. I-95 or the Merritt Parkway (RT 15) I think Anna gave some good advice to make a couple of test runs to see what the best options will be. If there is anything I can do to help, Please don't hesitate to contact me.

Tim Kellerman
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Mobile - 203-650-2644
Home Office - 203-254-9310
Email - Tim@TKellerman.com
Website - http://www.TKelleman.com
Web Reference:  http://www.TKelleman.com
Lori Flick, Agent, Trumbull, CT
Wed Mar 9, 2011
It would not be an unusual option as I place many families from NY to Fairfield County and NH County. Home prices and taxes are better in CT than in NY (so my clients tell me) and many must commute to work just as long from where the live in NY anyway.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Mar 9, 2011
Unfortunately a decision only you can make--as for the commute, why not consider a few test runs and then decide...