I guess the way you break it down is by asking yourself the following questions:
- Can I take the train to work; or does the town or company provide a shuttle from the
train station to my office (if not in walking distance).
-What is my motivation for wanting to choose Fairfield?
1. Is it that I am comparing taxes in Fairfield to Westchester County?
2. Did I read something favorable about the school system?
3. Am I choosing to live in a Town, and not a City in CT.
4. In choosing a Town, and wanting to be on the train line and have quick access to the highways; am I choosing Fairfield over Darien, Westport or Greenwich because I can find more house in my price-range?
Fairfield is a great place to live - no doubt about it, but when it comes to commuting long distances, the train
really is the answer, and the train is also why towns on the train line tend to have higher real estate values...
But if you have to drive, it is true that you will sit on i-95 for hours there and hours back... I did
it for years and it is not fun. The train is the way to go.
Here is a link to the schedule: http://www.mta.info/index.html
Also, Fairfield's second train station just opened this past December and the station is called, Fairfield Metro Station...
Best of luck!