How long would the commute time be from Dunwoody to downtown Atlanta near Five Points? I plan to use Marta but I might have to drive on some days.

Asked by Granola82, Dunwoody, GA Thu May 19, 2011

My wife and I are relocating to the Atlanta, GA area. We plan to rent first and then buy within 8-12 months and we have narrowed our choices down to an apartment complex near the North Springs station and one in the Brookhaven area. I plan on taking Marta to work (near Five Points downtown) but I might have to drive some days. Should we go with the place in Dunwoody or in Brookhaven? It seems like it might be easier to drive in from Brookhaven but I'm not sure. Any advice or help would be very appreciated.
Travis

Answers

4
John H. Mason, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu May 9, 2013
I have lived in the Sandy Springs - Dunwoody area for nearly 23 years and used to work Downtown at the Apparel Mart AND I commuted to and from the airport nearly every week for over 2 years. If you purchase a home in Dunwoody near the Village, you could take the Sandy Springs Marta or the North Springs Marta since both locations are next to Dunwoody and have lots of available parking at the stations. The Dunwoody Marta Station is actually next to Perimeter Mall and the area is congested especially at the end of a work day. I wouldn't even consider using the Medical Center location; not sure why that was offered. From the Dunwoody Village area you could hop on GA400 or go a little farther south and get onto I285 directly to I85 or GA400. Commute times will vary based on traffic and construction anywhere from less than 30 minutes (at 5AM) to as much as over an hour.

Just remember that Marta trains are NOT fast. If you moved to Brookhaven you could take Marta from the Brookhaven / Chamblee station which could get you DT a little quicker. Also from Brookhaven you could hop on I85 and get DT in about 20 minutes....but you are going to pay quite a bit more for a home in Brookhaven than you will in Dunwoody (depending on the neighborhood)....
Terri Gouldm…, Agent, Dunwoody, GA
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Travis,
There are three different ways to get on Marta if you are living in Dunwoody. I actually took the Medical Center train to Five Points a week ago and once on the train, it's about a 20 minute ride. You can get on the train near Perimeter Mall and the North Springs station also. Brookhaven has a station on Peachtree/Peachtree Industrial and at Lenox. Travel times in Atlanta definitely depends on the day, the weather, etc. Both Brookhaven and Dunwoody are excellent choices. I've lived in Dunwoody for almost 10 years now and find it very easy to get around due to the easy access to 285 and 400.

Please contact me if you need any help with your home search.
Terri Gouldman, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage (Dunwoody office)
404-694-0072
prestonducke…, Home Buyer, Dunwoody, GA
Sat Mar 9, 2013
Travis,
I am a realtor and resident in Dunwoody for over 20 yrs. The answer to your question is that it is only about 5 min. to the MARTA train from Dunwoody central and it takes about 20 to 30 min. to get to downtown by car during rush hour. Ga. 400 is easily accessible as the main artery to downtown.
This is a terrific close in community to raise a family or to be close to the entertainment life.
Call me if I can help.
Preston Duckett
404-542-3979
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Thu May 19, 2011
From Ashford-Dunwoody & I-285, Granola, to Five Points would normally take about 25-30 minutes with moderate traffic. Please call or email if we may help further. Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
SellsRealty@gmail.com
404-538-5499

http://www.georgiamls.com/agentsite/index.cfm?SiteID=HAMMONDJOHNM