How far are you willing to commute from your home to work?

Asked by Lenore and Alex Wilkas, Vista, CA Fri Jun 1, 2007

Answers

4
Baybird, , Bay Area cupertino san francisco palo alto berkeley marin county sonoma county vallejo
Mon Jun 4, 2007
I strongly feel that you should not tie these 2 things together. Simply because, you keep changing jobs but you can't do that with home. It's ideal to have short commute but I won't base my home buying decision on that specially if you have kids and you want to choose family oriented neighborhood and good school district. One thing we made sure that freeway access is pretty good from where we live.
Florida Mort…, , Pembroke Pines, FL
Fri Jun 8, 2007
I agree with Baybird. The commuting time is a facotr, but not necessarily the main focus.

The home should be the main focus. Good neighborhood, good schools, highway access, and most importantly...a home you love and can afford.
Jamie Glenn, , San Mateo, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2007
I use to commute from SF to san jose and it took about 60 min on a good day taking 280. I would say that is my max, but ideally 30 minutes is more ideal (which is what my commute is today).
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Fri Jun 1, 2007
I commuted 90 miles on the 405 and 10 freeways in Los Angeles (with the LAX airport in the middle!) for a few years. I got out of that lifestyle as soon as I got the chance and now enjoy a brief 15-mile commute in the lovely Bay Area.

I think it all depends on how much you enjoy living (spending time with significant others and pets, running errands, relaxing and such), how much you enjoy your job, and what the right balance is. It would take a lot for me to do the freeway flying thing again, but I'd do it for the right house and the right job.