How easy it to get around Houston with public transportation (buses, trains, subways, etc)?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

Is it possible to live in this city without a car?

Answers

5
Thomas Johns…, , Houston, TX
Wed May 23, 2007
Metro has fallen in love with light rail-all 8 miles of it. To pay for the empty trains, bus routes have been combined and some routes have been curtailed. If you live in Mid Town, you could live without a car. Other areas, are possible, but your REALTOR can give you a realistic analysis of car free life in this automobile centric town
Web Reference:  http://www.ERAHouston.com
Seamae Erfani, Home Seller, Houston, TX
Tue Mar 18, 2008
I would say-- not really. The city is sprawling and the weather can get unbearably hot and so waiting for a bus will not be pleasant. METRO rail is very limited. I love it here though....but I definitely couldn't manage without my car. Downtown is not like New York where residential areas are interspersed with commerical. It's really mostly commercial with some exceptions. These boots were not made for walking here....If you are looking for a home near the med center, please see my property at 9211 Riddlewood Lane on http://www.har.com
Erion Shehaj, Agent, Houston, TX
Fri Aug 3, 2007
In Houston you can get by without a car for a short period of time. Long term however, you absolutely need a vehicle since all distances to even the most routine places (grocery store, post office etc) are magnified significantly in Houston.
Erion Shehaj, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Aug 2, 2007
Public Transportation in the Houston Area is "acceptable" on a good day. The State of Texas in general has allocated transportation funds toward the building and expanding of highways as opposed to building a reliable public transportation. This could be due to climate conditions as well. Most people in the Greater Houston area do not use public transportation unless they have to.
Paul Ragsdale, Agent, Houston, TX
Mon Apr 23, 2007
Houston has METRO bus service fulfilling the needs of most of the city. Some peripheral areas are not serviced as well. The city is growing so rapidly, the public transportation system has trouble finding new routes fast enough.