Hi- My husband will be working in San Jose (Evergreen area) and I'll need to be in Walnut Creek each weekday morning at 8:00 am. We are thinking

Asked by Ariadne Clinton, San Ramon, CA Mon May 3, 2010

San Ramon or Danville would be a happy medium. Any thoughts? He has some flexibility with his hours coming and going. Thanks!

Answers

10
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
San Ramon, Danville, Dublin, Pleasanton are all good compromises. Looking at the map, seems like Dublin and Pleasanton are in the center point of your respective commutes.

Either way, you're in for quite a commute.

If you're the one with less flexibility, then perhaps you should find a home with a shorter commute for yourself. Why not check out Pleasanton? they do have a very charming downtown. And you'll have your choices of fine dining, shopping and entertainment.

Wish you all the best.
Windemere- B…, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Sun May 23, 2010
We just have a neighbor, one works in SF and the other works at Verisign- Mountain View. The other neighbor works for Google. Seems to work out well for them.

SR-Windemere is a great neighborhood.
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
Go for Dublin Ranch, Ariadne. This is up and coming. Schools get better and better. Not a terrible commute to Walnut Creek at that time and yout husband's commute will be great.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, DRE License # 01331583
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com
Ariadne Clin…, Home Buyer, San Ramon, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
Hi-

Thanks for all the great information! My husband does have to stick with business hours, but he can be a bit flexible, such as in by 9-9:30 am and could leave as late as 6:30 or so. He is worried Walnut Creek is too far, especially for Friday evening or other bad times. We prefer one of the newer developments (just like everyone else, I guess!), but I am narrowing it down to Danville-San Ramon-Dublin. It seems that being as close to the freeway as possible is important. So, does anyone have an opinion aboout drive times from San Ramon (Gale Ranch or Windemere) vs. Dublin Ranch? Dublin Ranch is farther to Walnut Creek, but it looks like you at lease get on the freeway sooner. We do have kids and they will be attending private school in Walnut Creek near Larkey Park and I need to be there at 8 am. But we do want to be in a good school district as a back up and because it very greatly assists in keeping one's property value elevated. Thanks!
Kamal Randha…, Agent, El Sobrante, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
San Ramon and Danville sound super ideas, however if price is in consideration, I would check out Dublin as well. Its very up and coming right now! Feel free to call or email me if I can assist you further. Good luck. :)

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
Dave Sutton, Agent, Portland, OR
Tue May 4, 2010
Your travel schedule has you traveling in rush hour, but I'm not clear about your husband's schedule. If he's not tied to rush hour, then why not live in Walnut Creek and eliminate your commute altogether?
Bob Georgiou, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
Ariadne,

There are may opportunities for you in the area from San Ramon all the way to Pleasant Hill/Martinez. Each community has its own benefits and mini-culture to consider. Walnut Creek is the hub and urban center. Pleasant Hill is its small town neighbor, Danville is an affluent small town next to larger and business center San Ramon. Danville/San Ramon is newer being mostly constructed after 1980, Walnut Creek and Pleasant Hill have deep roots that is reflected in the housing.

I ahve been running up and down 680 during rush hour since 1989 and I do not feel the travel is that bad even as far south as Dublin. For more specific information about neighborhoods drop an e-mail at your convenience.
Web Reference:  http://bob2sell.com
Suzanne Look…, Agent, Lafayette, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
Hi Ariadne,

Do you have children or are you planning on a family in the future? If so, the school district may be of interest to you. The San Ramon district, which is from Alamo to San Ramon, is rated very highly. Dublin also has great schools. You can go to the link below to see ratings for any area.

In addition to your family, the resale value of homes is very dependent on the school district, so being in a good one is a sound investment.

Any one of us can put you on an automatic MLS search so you can monitor the market and see the value of each market. We are also well trained in familiarizing you in person. So, I would highly advise aligning with a great realtor and working together for the best solution to your situation.

One good thing is, a commute from San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton to Walnut Creek is a cross commute, so you should have a easier time than your husband.

Suzanne Looker, http://www.suzannelooker.com
Web Reference:  http://www.greatschools.org/
Bernard Gibb…, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
Hi Ariadne:

Yes, these are both good choices. Since you are the one who has to be in Walnut Creek by 8am, I would say either of these (or maybe even Alamo) would be a good bet. I wouldn't relish the thought of commuting to Walnut Creek from Pleasanton at that time though.

I also think that personal preferences and lifestyle come into it. Where do you really like the best? Have you driven around Danville, San Ramon etc.? Would you prefer to be near to a downtown and in a more established area like Danville? And have you figured out how different San Ramon 94582 is from 94583? This is now like two very separate communities in most ways.

Good luck to you, which ever you choose. These are all good areas to live.

Bernard Gibbons

Bernard Gibbons, DRE License # 01331583
Gilbert Rich…, , Santa Clara County, CA
Tue May 4, 2010
I agree with Pacita, I currently live in Walnut Creek and commute to San Jose weekly. Danville, San Ramon or Pleasanton would definitely be a happy medium between the two cities.