Considering moving to Orlando, but cant drive. Ideas for good neighborhoods for Public Transportation or walking distance to stores, etc?

Asked by igoropera, Orlando, FL Sun Mar 17, 2013

Due to a health issue I am unable to drive. I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for over 10 years without a car and have no problems with that.
I was hoping somewhere in the Orlando area I would be able to find something similar, as well as a safe and calm neighborhood.
Thank you so much for all your help!

Answers

7
Maria Jimenez’s answer
Maria Jimenez, Agent, Orlando, FL
Thu Apr 11, 2013
All of the below neighborhoods will work for you, the difference between them are rarely big, it really all depends in what are you used to; San Fran Bay is big to compare, Orlando is A small city and it has good neighborhood that describe your search target. My personal opinion. Winter Park.
Good Luck IGOROPERA!!
Ben Grooten, Agent, Baldwin Park, CA
Thu Mar 28, 2013
Downtown Orlando is highly conducive to "automobile-free" living. Communities within the city will be the best bet when using public transportation. Baldwin Park is a fairly new community and located nicely between Winter Park and Downtown with great shops and restaurants right in the neighborhood, however the price is going to be on the high end. Thornton Park is nestled in downtown and while many of the homes are older it is an extremely well maintained. Some of my favorite places to eat are in Thornton Park. Another locale to consider is College Park, also in close proximity to Downtown public transportation is easily attainable as is affordable property for a tighter budget. College Park is dotted with quaint boutiques, teahouses and wonderful restaurants. Another option you might consider is that there is a good deal of public transport routes and stops close to the attractions (i.e. Disney, Universal Studios & Seaworld) if you're looking for a well priced condo this is the area to search in. I hope this little bit of information helps you in your decision making process, good luck!
Thank you SO much! The most helpful reply so far. Thanks!
Flag Thu Mar 28, 2013
Alan Martin, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Jul 17, 2013
the public transport system here is not all that great but there are some areas that may suite you. an active adult over 55 community for instance. If you are retired ?
Vincent Paige…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun Mar 17, 2013
Downtown Orlando , Thorton Park, college Park, Baldwin Park, close to bus stops.

VP
Daniel Barto, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun Mar 17, 2013
You might want to check out these areas/neighborhoods.

Try Winter Park, as close to Park ave as possible.

College Park or Downtown Orlando. However, Downtown is very spread out and living there is not necessarily going to provide the best walkable neighborhood. It really depends on location within Downtown.

Celebration or Baldwin Park are communities that were designed with the Principles of the New Urbanism. This provides a walkable community with a small downtown area.

There are a few choices for you, but it varies widely by price. So, if you want more specific info, click through to my profile and send me an email. You can also visit my site by the link below. There you can search MLS listings by map which will help when searching for walkability and density.

Best of luck with your move,

Danny Barto
Web Reference:  http://GalleonProperties.com
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Sun Mar 17, 2013
College Park and Winter Park come to mind quickly.
Dean King, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun Mar 17, 2013
That will depend on your budget. If you would like to email details of budget and the type of home you are looking for I will be able to help you. deanking@iris-int.com