Commute to Pleasant Hill/CC County from Marin?

Asked by Susan, San Francisco, CA Wed Oct 3, 2007

My husband and I relocated from the west side of Los Angeles to San Francisco. My husband works in Pleasant Hill. Is it realistic to commute from Marin County to Pleasant Hill every day? We are interested in buying a home in Marin, but the commute could be unrealistic.

Answers

9
Susan, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
I hear Marin is the best place to live in the bay area. We are used to living by the water in Southern California coming from the Santa Monica area, which is one of the best, most desirable places to live in LA. I dont want to take a step down and live in an undesirable part of the bay area, and I hear the east bay is not so great.
Susan, Home Buyer, San Francisco, CA
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Hi Tam,

Do you know where the property taxes the lowest in the bay area?
Tam, Home Buyer, Bay Street Viaduct Area, Savannah, GA
Fri Nov 9, 2007
I would say that you are looking at a minimum of a 60 minute commute, and more like a 90 minute commute (from Marin). Nearly every day the traffic gets extremely thick on the Richmond bridge, and HWY 4 often has road incidents and much of it is only two lanes each way. I would, as another suggested, look at some areas closer to Pleasant Hill, including Walnut Creek, Moraga, and Lafayette. Much depends on your needs, e.g. a good high school, lower property tax rates, etc.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Hello Susan; so you have decided to skip Marin and go to East Bay? Have you come and check out Marin?

Just wondering.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Hi Susan:

I totally understand where you come from. My husband also moved from L.A. to here - actually, his family moved to Brentwood while he was in high school (Palisades) and he loved going to Santa Monica beaches with his friends - still some of the best friends and memories he had.

When we finally were planning to settle down, he only had two places in mind, Denver and Marin county. All due to the great outdoors and wonderful environment both can offer; with Marin being number one choice, and that's where we are now.

Right now, his biggest passion is windsufing, mountain biking and some tennis.

For him, even though he has to commute, it's worth it. He always says if you have to commute anywhere in the country, this (Marin) is the best place to do that. I am sure you will agree with that, just drive from San Francisco to here; the view is breathtaking. If you drive when the hills are green, that view is just unbelievable! Richmond bridge(580) is a 4 mile long bridge although not as famous as Golden Gate, it's a totally different feel.

I see you have another post about Marin and East Bay. I will go there and finish up.

Sylvia .
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Hubby will be in rush hour traffic and he would be looking at maybe an hour commute each way. Marin is a great place to live. If you are open to something closer you might want to look at Danville, Walnut Creek, Orinda, Moraga and Lafayette. They are all upscale areas with lot's of activities.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Hi Susan:

I am a Realtor in Marin. According to my husband, who commutes to Pleasant Hills every so often (yes, I just checked with the expert here), the commute from Novato (the north most town in Marin) to Pleasant hill is about 45 minutes.

If you live in San Rafale, the commute time will be much shorter because you will miss the mess where the lanes change from 4 lanes to 3 lanes and the other construction mess where they are widening 101 from 3 lanes to 4 lanes.

If you live in Sourther Marin, your commute will be against traffic going up north to Richmond (580) bridge as well going south back to Mari; so the commute time should be less.

You have to use the Richmond Bridge 580 if you are commuting from Marin to Pleasant Hill.

You did not mention other than wanting to live in Marin, what requirements (commute, number of bedrooms/bathrooms, price range, shools, parks and recreaion, outdoor activity, view, etc that you want to find out..

With a little more details, I will be ablet to find and email some properties for you and then we can see how far and how long a comute it might be for you - if you are not worried about the schools, I have a couple of great places where my mother-in-law lives that are very close to 580 and will be great for commute.

Hope this helps.

Sylvia .
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Dave and Sheila are correct. I checked Google Maps Marin Civic Center to Pleasnt Hill is 55 minutes in traffic (There is always traffic, except maybe at 3 in the morning. ) Rush hours could be worse. That is each way turning an 8 day into 10 or a 12 hour day into 14. This also exposes hubby to increased risk of accident for being on the road so long and so much. Exposure to air pollution too.

There is also the consideration of your fellow earthlings, since you were already in California, you have probably heard the public relations about "going green" and "reducing your carbon footprint"... Even if you think it is a bunch of propaganda by the greens, give it a thought .. check out both sides of that argument too... What if the greens are right?
Dave Rivera…, Agent, Orinda, CA
Wed Oct 3, 2007
Hi Susan,
If you live in Marin, you would cross the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge to I80, then I would take 80 east to Hwy 4, then 680 to Pleasant Hill. I'm guessing it would take about an hour, depending on where in Marin you live and where in PH he works. That doesn't include commute traffic, if you travel at peak times. So, basically only you and your husband can answer this; what is your tolerance for commuting? Also, what about Marin do you like, and is it possible to find those qualities in another, more convenient area such as
Lamorinda (Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda). There are areas in Orinda that remind my clients of Marin, and it is
a quick 15 minutes to Pleasant Hill driving, or just 3 stops on BART.