Tamara Cane, Home Buyer in Astoria, NY

Commute to NYC?

Asked by Tamara Cane, Astoria, NY Fri Nov 1, 2013

Hi everyone... I wanted to ask realistically how long is the commute to mid-town Manhattan from Union City. I see the buses/trains say about 15 to 20 minutes, but given traffic during peak times I find that hard to believe (for the buses). Can anyone share their experiences? good/bad? thanks!

Union city is close to the entrance of the Lincoln tunnel. unless there is an accident they have bus lanes that even during rush hour the commute can be 20 minutes or less.

Then again it all depends where in union city. If you are close to 495 you are good otherwise you need to add another 10-20 minutes to get to the bus.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 2, 2013
Depends where in Union city you are and in which direction you are going.

You have to 98 bus that goes towards the I-495 entrance Lincoln Tunnel along Palisade Ave, or you can take a bus to the Hoboken terminal and then a PATH to the city. Either way you are looking at 35-40 minutes during rush hour into the city, and sometimes up to an hour getting back in the evening when traffic really bogs down.

Amos Elroy

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
SFR (Short-Sale Specialist Certified)
CHBA (Certified Home Buyer Advisor from NAEA)
CSBA (Certified Home Seller Advisor from NAEA)
NAEA Member (National Association of Expert Advisors)
Residential Real Estate Expert Adviser

Lic. Realtor Associate
EXIT On The Hudson Realty

(888) 462-6573 Ext. 101 / (888) HOB-NJRE Ext. 101
FAX (888) 462-6573
Office 201-437-0411
I would say that is very realistic- even with crazy traffic it would still be under 30 minutes. I lived on 30th and JFK which is about 4-5 stops outside of the Lincoln Tunnel and one time on a Friday night in a snow storm it took 45 minutes, that was the worst ever...During non rush hour it's more like 10 minutes...Use the Jittney busses they are easiest....If you need help looking for your next home feel free to reach out to me when you have a few minutes to discuss.

Anthony Curty
Realtor Associate
2009-2012 NJAR Circle of Excellence
Liberty Realty
1 Marine View Plaza
Hoboken NJ 07030
O-201-610-1010 X304