Are there any major traffic problems in Alpharetta?

Asked by J.P., Tampa, FL Mon Apr 23, 2007

If so, can you tell me where (major streets/commuting paths)?

Answers

6
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Thu Jul 19, 2007
Hi JP:
I found something you do want to watch. The Haynes Bridge Road south of the GA400. This was a pretty treacherous drive heading toward Old Alabama Hwy. You might want to do a quick study in that area - although Haynes Bridge runs along the North Point Mall - it was a doozy to manuever.
Fri Jul 6, 2007
There was a recent survey of the "worst" traffic areas in the nation - metro Atlanta was not on this list. There is a good reason for this!

The GA400 has been widened at great expense and frustration to the commuting community. It has been well worth the wait and we hope to see more improvements as you travel northward.

To say the the 400 is one of the most dangerous is misleading. It's no more daunting than the beltways of any major metropolitan city. I have lived in practically every major city from LA to DC and find that GA400 ranks high on my list.

Alpharetta is not without it's problem areas, but you must time it right or live with the consequences. Typically, I have not had that much of a problem unless there was an accident - and I have made it on the 9 from (The city with a Profane Name apparently) to Roswell - in under 30 minutes. I traveled at 9am from Post & Pittman to past Hembree.

If you commute to Atlanta from Alpharetta on the 400 your commute will vary. Please advise your pattern and we can give you a better "guesstamite"
Thu Jul 5, 2007
With the GA400 and Hwy 9 running parallel to each other - the traffic situation in Alpharetta seems moot at this point.

But as in any city - there are certain times and situations that make it seem worse than it is. Weather, and lunch rush can make it seem daunting. But if you time it right and know the alternate routes (there are a bunch!) you can get around with ease!

Real Estate Agents do this for a living - we move around like nobody's business. If you are coming to the area give us a call - we'll show you the in's and out's... it can be fun - but most definitely the backroads offer an opportunity to see the beautiful landscape - what a way to travel!!!
Deryk Harper, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon Apr 23, 2007
With the recent completion of the widening of GA 400 north and south bound lanes through Alpharetta the sometimes grinding rush hour commute has eased considerably. I just drove from 285/400 straight up to GA 400 exit 11 Windward Pkwy during peak rush hour and made it in about 15 minutes now that all lanes of 400 are open. That used to take 30+ minutes easily. The pending completion through to Windward Pkwy of the primary North/South artery, Westside Parkway just west of GA 400 should create even better flow as locals will no longer have to jump on 400 just to travel from Windward Pkwy to Old Milton Pkwy or Haynes Bridge Rd. Recent completion of work on the east side of Alpharetta along Old Milton Pkwy, States Bridge Rd, Abbott's Bridge and Jones Bridge Rd has brought long awaited and welcome relief to severe bottlenecks in that area.
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Fri Jul 6, 2007
To clarify: Alpharetta is congested. If you travel on off peak times (as Jeanette pointed out) you will be fine, however, if you are working in Atlanta and have a regular schedule, then expect delays and plan for them.

In my experience, if given a choice everyone would select Alpharetta as the best place to live! However, two things stop this from happening. Price and traffic.
Web Reference:  http://www.jrjarvis.com
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Thu Jul 5, 2007
J.P.,

It'd be helpful to know where you are going. 400 is one of the most dangerous highways in Georgia, (HWY 20 ranked #1 last year and runs from Canton, through [the city north of Alpharetta - which is apparently flagged as profanity] to Buford and beyond). Using 9 as an alternate is a good suggestion but it's slow. It can take up to 2.5 hours to go 30 miles east and west, so be careful where you are heading and plan accordingly.

None of us can give you the Real answer without your trip plan.
Web Reference:  http://www.jrjarvis.com