Affordable and safe places where I can live without a car?

Asked by Beth, New York, NY Wed Aug 22, 2007

I work near wall street and I am trying to find a place closer to my work. What are some affordable and safe neighborhoods to look in that are in a half hour commute, ideally I would like a place where I can get away with not having a car. Now I have an hour and a half commute and I am trying to reduce this.

Answers

9
Adina Greenb…, , New York, NY
Sat Aug 25, 2007
What do you call affordable and what would you like to do? Rent or buy?Like Mtichell wrote, Battery Park City is relatively affordable, I have pre-viewed the Visionaire, a green building, designed by Pelli Architects, at walking distance of Wall Street. If you want more affordable, check out Washington Heights. That might sound like far away since it is in the north of manhattan, but the A Train runs express and takes you in about 30 to 35 minutes downtown. Washington Heights is a wonderful neighborhood.
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Go "green" walk to work live in a suburban style community in lower Manhattan just steps to Wall Street. Come home for lunch or to walk your dog on the promenade along the Hudson River with spectacular views of The Statue of Liberty.

Imagine the convenience of being able to work right in your own neighborhood, well Battery Park City was designed for residents to do just that. The World Financial Center and the New York Mercantile Exchange are surrounded by some of the most distinguished highrise residential buildings in lower Manhattan - best of all - any building constructed later than the year 2000 has been designed to use sustainable technology to reduce energy use and increase the health of its residents. The Solaire, is the nation's first "green" residential highrise and there are six more to come all within the 92 acres of Battery Park City. So no matter whether you choose to rent or purchase, you'll find healthier living in Battery Park City. You'll also find great schools - Suburban style living steps to wall Street. Compared to other Manhattan neighborhoods Battery Park is more affordable.
Adam Waldman, , Long Island, KS
Wed Aug 22, 2007
Beth,

Affordable is a relative term, so it's difficult to answer this as specifically as I'd like to, but you may want to look into an area like Hoboken, NJ. There is a path train that goes right to Hoboken, and it is definitely a place that you can live in without having a car. Another area that you may want to look into is Bayside, NY. The LIRR goes right there and there are also express buses if that works better for you. It has a number of stores right on Bell Blvd. where the train is located and you can also take buses around the area. You can check out Brooklyn Heights (although I'm not sure how affordable it is). A couple of other areas to check out in Brooklyn are Williamsburg and an area called DUMBO (down under Manhattan Brooklyn Overpass). Brooklyn is very close to wall street, so this may be your most favorable location. I hope this helps.
Adam Waldman, RE/MAX Best, 631-357-2036, adam@adamwaldman.com
Mitchell Hall, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Mar 16, 2010
Hi Beth,

I hope you found a place since you asked this question on August 22, 2007.
MAP1922, Other Pro, Newport, OR
Tue Mar 16, 2010
I am assuming that living in Manhattan is not what you consider to be affordable. As an attorney and broker for the past 25 years, I would recommend that you look in Hoboken and Jersey City, NJ, where you can utilize the PATH train to travel directly into the Wall Street area. That will definitely be your fastest commute with relatively reasonable living expenses. On the other side of the river, check out Brooklyn near the subways. Either way, you won't need a car.
Good luck and best wishes,
Michele
DJD, , Miami, FL
Mon Mar 15, 2010
Ive heard Battery park is a nice affordable place. I dont live there but know someone who does.
Good luck!!
Debbie Duehring Willey
Pierre Calza…, Other Pro,
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Great, here are some possibilities. When buying in NYC, the most important thing to consider may be the Subway Lines. In Wall Street, practically every line comes rushing in, so finding a place to live within 30-45 minutes is actually quite easy. Manhattan is expensive, and since you live an hour and a half away, I am thinking that had you been able to afford the Wall Street Area, you would not be asking this question. therefor I propose the next best thing: Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Carroll Gardens, Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill, You may even be able to pull off a 45 minute commute from Bay Ridge on the R line which connects to the 4,5, N, R, 1, 2, 3, etc...Also - Windsor Terrace is a great little 'hood with not much nightlife, but good conveniences and blocks away from Prospect Park and Park Slope.

I was born and raised on Manhattan's Upper East Side, 70th Street, until I was 22 years old. I moved to Brooklyn 8 years ago and I have lived In Dyker Heights, Windsor Terrace, and now on the Bensonhurst / Gravesend border. My 2 family home is detached, has a driveway, 1,200 square feet per floor, a full finished basement, backyard and awesome neighborhood amenities, and it is very safe, upper-middle area. you find a home like this for around 800K, you are talking about over 3,000 sq feet of living space 45 minutes from Manhattan on the N or F line - NOT BAD! and their are plenty of condos there too. I leave my house at around 7:45 and I am in my office on Lafayette and Astor by 8:20.

hope that helps.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Aug 22, 2007
If you are moving out west you might want to consider Portland. It is a great city of get around in without a car.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Artur Urbans…, Agent, Burlingame, CA
Wed Aug 22, 2007
Beth,
If you don't mind moving West, there is San Francisco. You can live anywhere here and use public transportation to work. It applies to many other places in the Bay Area.
Web Reference:  http://www.cimpler.com