what kind of improvements will affect my property assessment LA county?

Asked by Caren Tiep, Culver City, CA Thu Mar 6, 2008

I would like to remodel my kitchen, I will be moving half a wall but will not add square footage to the house. I also want to add energy saving windows, insulation and E saving update to heating system. We are senior citizens and cannot afford to have our home reappraised. Low property taxes is the reason we will be fixing the house and not moving.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Fri Mar 7, 2008
Adding square footage to a property will trigger new assessments.
0 votes
The Sanborn…, , Los Angeles, CA
Thu Mar 6, 2008
You need to check with the Los Angeles County Tax Assessor for the answer to that question. All the work you are describing requires a permit. Your contractor will place a value on the work and that is usually what the assessor uses, but to verify that please contact the Los Angeles County Tax Assessor.
Nancy Sanborn
Web Reference:  http://www.sanbornteam.com
0 votes
Rebecca Cham…, , Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Thu Mar 6, 2008
Any capital improvement that requires a permit from your city can trigger a reassement. Windows and insulation can actually get you a tax break (income not property.) However a kitchen remodel often triggers a reassement. I would suggest you contact the city and see if there are any special programs for seniors.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more