i bought my house with my then fiancee three years ago, we have since broke up. i am still living in the

Asked by Ashley, Cape Coral, FL Sat Mar 22, 2008

house and he moved to california. my name is not on the mortgage loan of the house, but it is on the deed and insurance. how do i get my name off of the house so i can move out and he can have the house?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Betsie Taber, Agent, Lakewood Ranch, FL
Sun Mar 30, 2008
Hi Ashley,

As realtors, we are not allowed to render legal opinions. All we can tell you is talk to a lawyer. I personally would go to the firm that helped you with the closing of the house since they should have all the documentation. That might save you a buck or two.

1 vote
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Mar 22, 2008
Ashley - you should talk to a real estate attorney to make sure you do it right. It may be as easy as doing a deed transfer and then requesting that the insurance remove your name. But it's important you talk to an attorney to understand the process and get the correct documentation.
1 vote
Jim Soda, , Sarasota County, FL
Sun Mar 23, 2008
A Quit Claim Deed may be the instrument you use, but I would DEFINETLY seek an Attorney.
Web Reference:  http://www.jimsoda.com
0 votes
J.D. "Dan" &…, Agent, Orange Park, FL
Sat Mar 22, 2008
A real estate attorney can help you and it wont' cost much

JD "Dan" Weisenburger
Broker-Associate, REALTOR(r)
Vanguard Realty, Inc., GMAC Real Estate
Web Reference:  http://www.neflahomes.com
0 votes
Lisa Hill, , Port Orange, FL
Sat Mar 22, 2008
Ashley, I have to agree with Ines. You should consult a real estate attorney before doing anything. Since you're not on the mortgage, but are on the deed, it's very likely that you can just quit claim the house to your fiancee, or sell it to him if you helped make the payments. Those are things you should discuss with your attorney. If I were you, I wouldn't disclose anymore personal information than you already have. You have to be careful on the internet.
0 votes
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sat Mar 22, 2008

You can deed you interest to him by a Grant Deed or a Quit Claim Deed. I would have the Title Company or an Attorney prepare this for you. You will need to notify the insurance company you are not longer a party to the property and have you name removed.
0 votes
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Sat Mar 22, 2008

Since you are not on the mortgage a Quit Claim Deed will be all that is required. Once completed send a copy to the insurance company and they should remove you from the documents. You can buy the forms pre-printed and sign in front of a Notary, or have an attorney draw one for you fairly inexpensive. Make sure the Quit Claim Deed gets filed with your County Records Clerk.

Web Reference:  http://www.TonyInFlorida.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more