What is the minimum bedroom size reqirement for section 8 housing? Also is the closet part of this requirement

Asked by Jon, Chicago, IL Sat Mar 22, 2008

Answers

6
Greg Zaccagni, , Illinois
Sat Mar 22, 2008
Try looking here:

http://www.hud.gov/sec2b.cfm

Greg Z
Angie.elder, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Fri Dec 9, 2016
IF ITS ME AND MY 12YR OLD SON HOW MANY BEDROOMS WILL I GET
damarisbrown…, Renter, Brooklyn, NY
Tue Apr 8, 2014
I have a 20 yes son who is unablevto work due to disability w,hats davbedroom size for family under sec. 8 lwas in NYC
Accurate Ins…, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 7, 2011
Minimum bedroom size per City requirements is 70 sq.ft.
Shinell Derr…, Home Buyer, Pontiac, MI
Sat Nov 5, 2011
What is the family requirement for bedrooms. I have 2 boys ages 5 and 13. Can I have a three bedroom apartment in Michigan?
I'm familiar with the metro Atlanta area housing authorities but typically a housing authority will allow you to lease a home with extra bedrooms or "bonus" rooms as long as your voucher covers the rent amount. So if your voucher pays $900 for a 2 bedroom, you can rent a 3 bedroom as long as the landlord will accept $900 rent.
Flag Tue Nov 10, 2015
Robbin Smith, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Sat Mar 29, 2008
I have never seen anything that suggests a minimum measurement for bedroom size. Bedroom size usually means the number of bedrooms in the home or apartment that the housing authority is willing to pay for. I have experience in Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta with section 8. Bedrooms must have closet and window, but NYC has lofts too. The housing inspectors will go with local custom as far as actual room size. A 3 bedroom of 900sqft is usually not as valuable as 1800sqft. Just know that they inspect hundreds or thousand of props per year. Do not turn the walk in closet into a bedroom.... It happens often here in GA (smile). Also some people want a bonus room that they will use as a bedroom later, but housing does not pay extra.