Realtor who does property management?

Asked by Felicia, Harbor City, CA Mon Nov 12, 2007

My condo is on the market, and I need to rent it out. I would like to keep it on the market. How do I find a realtor that also does property management? Is there a list somewhere? I'd need to rent it out in the next month or two. Thanks.

Answers

10
Felicia, , Harbor City, CA
Tue Nov 13, 2007
Thanks for all the great answers! I am under contract with a realtor, and I would like to switch realtors. So what I will do is rent it out after pulling it off the market. Then I will rent it with a company that also does real estate sales. My contract with the previous realtor is up in March, so that puts me past the holiday season, which I've heard can be really slow for sales. I don't have to sell right now, but I do need to rent it out since I'm moving out of state. At some point, when the market stabilizes, I'd like to put it back on the market.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Hi Felicia:

I agree with Christopher, a Realtor can help you find a tenant while still have your house listed for sale.

I don't believe they will try to just sell - because if you can't afford to sell the house, you'd either take it off the market; nor move or short sell it. So, it'd better for the Realtor to help you rent it out while still listed for sale; it will be easier to monitor the situation - add bonus is that you will like their service and will continue to use them when you eventually sell the property.

I don't know how close you are to your property. If not too far, you can do property management yourself which might be easier. Otherwise, you can hire a property management company to do that but a lot won't do short term.

Your Realtor might not be able to help you manage the proerty - I can't. First I don't have formal training, and second, my professional insurance only covers buy and sell real estate not property management. I suspect a lot will be in the same boat.

I did help a client once, pro bono, but I also have them sign something to say that I am not responsible for anything. It worked fine!

Sylvia
Diana Dougla…, , 92284
Mon Nov 12, 2007
You can always look in the local Yellow pages but the best way is to call a local Real Estate office and ask what offices handle rentals.

Rentals take special handling so when you do get a list of Rental offices ask some questions. Like how long has the office handled rentals? Do they have E & O Insurance? Ask for references?
With you home on the market there are special problems. You need to have an agent that Knows the rental laws for showing the home to possible buyers, for eviction of tenants or required paperwork needed for the new owner/landlord at close of escrow.
Kaldis Devel…, , Houston, TX
Wed May 13, 2009
Hello! My name is Deidre and I am with Kaldis Development. We are a real estate developer and broker. We can list your condo as well as manangement. Please contact me at 713-526-1802.
I look forward to helping you.
Web Reference:  http://www.kaldis.com
Fred Dawson, , San Pedro, Long Beach
Tue Dec 11, 2007
That's Great, my mother-in law lives in that building; keep me in mind when you interview agents when you decide to sell. Good luck on the move.
Web Reference:  http://www.freddawson.com
Felicia, , Harbor City, CA
Tue Dec 11, 2007
Hello. I just rented my place out. So I think I'll hold on it for a while and think about selling later.
Fred Dawson, , San Pedro, Long Beach
Tue Dec 11, 2007
Hello Felicia, I wanted to touch bases with you to find out if you rented out the condo yet, if not how much are you asking for the lease?
310-678-3247
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Felicia
You need a strategic plan to sell. A few quick tips:
1. Look into the viability of renting it out. Check the CC & Rs in your HOA, talk with a CPA, talk with your REALTOR about rental rates and the market.
2. Every home sells for a price. If the market does not allow you to sell, then make lemonade out of lemons. We became accidental investors...it was a blessing in disguise as a problem.
3. Look at WHY you are selling...do you HAVE TO?

Kurt Thomas, , 81501
Mon Nov 12, 2007
I recommend a company that only works with rentals. Find somebody who only manages and leases property similiar to yours. Getting it leased is one thing, managing the property is much much different work. I know, I did it for 5 years!
Just search for "property manager" in your local DEX. I would assume there are several and you could interview a couple to pick the one you like best. Read the lease agreement that they use, ask about the procedure that they use to qualify a tennent.
Christopher…, Agent, Hemet, CA
Mon Nov 12, 2007
I would not be opposed in using a Realtor to assist in finding a tenant yet, utilize the services of a management company that is not also involved in real estate, especially when a short term rental situation. Even with long term rentals, I would not want to have someone managing my property that will be marketing to them non stop and encouraging them to buy a home rather than rent mine. A specialist (They could possibly be a Realtor) is much needed in the day to day management and if they are active in real estate sales, they would not have the time to manage a group of properties properly.