Tech Tips in Kansas City>Question Details

Dorothy Bueng,  in Kansas City, MO

I have rented a home to some people that have been late with their rent payment for 3 and 1/2 years. They

Asked by Dorothy Bueng, Kansas City, MO Tue Jul 29, 2008

lied on their application to FHA and told them they lived with parents. They are still in my rental home and owe me 3 monthe back rent. What can I do about this?

Help the community by answering this question:


Pat Starnes’ answer
I feel your pain. As a fellow landlord, it is very frustrating when tenants don't pay on time. It will be such a relief when you evict them and find more worthy tenants. As far as the back rent, you'll have to get a judgement or garnishment through the court system (if they have stable employment). You've been patient long enough. It's time for EVERYONE to move on!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Drop the coin on a Real Estate Attorney and move on. At the end of the day it will be cheaper and less stressful so you can focus on selling homes!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Are they buying the house from you? How do you know they lied to FHA? Are they moving out? At some point I guess you could notify the loan originator of the situation if you wish to "mess them over" but I'd think you'd be happy to get rid of them and then sue them for the back rent. At the very least you'll get a judgement against them and you can hope one day to collect it.

Just my $.02 without knowing all the facts. You may wish to discuss your options with a real estate attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
You will have to hire a lawyer and take them to court to get a judgement against them for rent payment. They probably won't show up to court and if they don't, the judge will allow you to evict them. Usually the judge gives about 30 days or so for the tenants to get out. Then after that time is up, if they are still not out, you can contact the sherrif's office and an officer will actually come and put them and their belongings out on the street.

So your first step is to hire a lawyer and he or she will help you get your rent or at least get them evicted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer