I have a problem with my realtor not listing our house through IDX for Garden State MLS. How can I get him to?

Asked by Kim, 07442 Mon Nov 5, 2007

do this? I have asked repeatedly and I feel that he is avoiding the issue.

Answers

45
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi Kim,

Everyone's a critic right? Hey J R, would your last name be Ewing by any chance? Just kidding...

I am a frustrated movie reviewer, but since I get paid to sell and appraise homes, I'll review your listing instead.

By reverse deductive logic I have concluded that you are the gray Colonial on Hamburg Tpk. It's a very cute house. I notice that 96 sold in June and has very similar locational characteristics to your home, not to mention age and design. If you sell your home and the buyer goes for a mortgage, that home will be comparable number one for the bank appraiser.

The first thing to do is get rid of the head-on picture. It emphasizes the location on the road and lack of a front yard. The quarter angle picture is good, it makes the house look bigger. Keep that one as your main front picture. The yard pictures are OK, but pick the best one or two max. You need more interior photos, and they need to be shot with a 16-18 millimeter lens to increase perceived room sizes. When a listing has a bunch of exterior photos, the public will immediately ask the question: what's wrong with the inside?

Oh brother, the MLS just kicked off (it goes off at 12:15AM every morning...) I'll have to finish this review tomorrow.

Kim, have you been inside 96? How does it compare? Try to be as objective and detached as possible.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
HI Kim,

Thks for your recent post. I was typing, so I just saw your comment about no IDX. We , as a listing borker, want all of our lisitngs to go out via IDX. I have an IDX feed from GS at my site. I am curious if I can get your listing at my site. I know if you are on GS that I can log on to GS and access it. If you want me to check, or you can
check here:
http://www.idxre.com/idx/listings.cfm?cid=3705&pc=RES&am…

I think the above link will work. If not, you can execute a search here:
http://www.idxre.com/idx/search.cfm?cid=3705

or email me with your property address and I will check it.
Deborah@PeninsulaFirst.com

If your agent/broker want their lisitngs to be distributed via IDX, it should be fixable. If it ithe brokerage's policy to withhold from IDX, then you must discuss your disagreement with them and the terms of your listing agreement.

Best of Luck.
Deborah Madey - Broker
New Jersey
Deborah@PeninsulaFirst.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Buyers usually ask that question to measure the motivation of the sellers as a negotiation tool. Other reasons are to uncover problems. Buyers wonder if your reason for not wanting be there might be cause for them to not want to buy there. i.e. The neighbor has loud parties. I don't find it an irrelevant question. Understanding the other parties wants, needs and motivation is taught in many negotiation strategy classes and books. The fact is, though, you don't ferret out that actual real answer that easily. When you don't get to the heart of that matter, and you don't know the real reason, then the given answer is irrelevant.

As a seller, any communicaiton provided that screams motivation tells the buyer that he/she has some leverage. Any communication from a seller that shouts, "I don't have to sell." may disuade real buyers in search of an alternative who they deem more realistic.

And, as an aside, Kim, can you send me some of those people who don't care about price. I have sold from the under 100K to over 5M and haven't found those clients yet. Just kidding, it is my job to get the best highest price/best terms for my seller clients and I pride myself in doing that well.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Fri Nov 9, 2007
HI Kim,

I just read JR's recent post. I don't think JR meant to offend you. Neither is that my intent here, either. JR is correct in the post just written.

Any sellers’ need for additional dollars does not create a willingness for a buyer to pay more. Buyers are looking to pay the least and get the most. All of the advertising and marketing this side of the moon won't sell a listing if the price is too high for the buyers in the market. Absolutely no offense meant; nor am I indicating that your price is too high. I haven’t looked at your property or the comps. It is a fact in the marketplace that buyers buy based upon the best value for their dollar, and their personal wants and needs.

It is certainly your choice to sell or not sell in a given market. There are some sellers who say they would rather stay in their home vs. selling. It is your right to make that choice, if appropriate for you. If you are committed to selling, the price is set by the market, not what you want or need to get out of it at closing.

You need price and exposure. Right pricing and broad exposure to find those buyers who are active in this market. Broad exposure at too high of a price helps to sell the competition, not your property. When a property is advertised and the price is high, it reinforces to the buyer that the neighbor who is selling has a good deal for them. Right pricing without exposure will not bring potential buyers to your doorstep. They must know about it in order to act.

Deborah
J R, , New York, NY
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Kim wrote:
JR,

I think you should find out the REAL reason I have to sell my house before you just assume that the sole reason is due to just the price. My daughter has autism and we want to move to a township like Pompton Lakes that has an autistic preschool for her. We figure if she is living there that they need to take her versus fighting with our current school district to get her there. Also, we need a bigger house because our original plans to keep both kids in one room won't work due to my daughter's autism. She is very distracted by others and if my other daughter slept in the same room, she might not sleep. THAT IS THE REASON WE NEED TO MOVE. So maybe you shouldn't just judge me based on a single statement and find out all the facts before you pass on a possible sale....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kim I am very sorry for your situation, and the fact your daughter is autistic.... This is what you wrote previously: "We can't afford to lower the price too much more or we won't be able to afford another larger home. " --------------- Whether the reason you can't afford to lower the price is because of illness, debt, divorce, family size, or just because you want more money--those reasons are still IRRELEVANT to what your house is worth. I'm sorry my answer offended you, do you understand what I am saying? The reason you need a bigger house is not going to make someone pay more for yours than it is worh.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Kim,
Thanks for providing your MLS #, I will look at it later. Chances are minimal that I have a buyer, but I will look. Good luck on a move to Pompton Lakes!

As far as IDX and lawsuits..........As a broker, yes, I keep up w/ those developments. It is our judgement call in our office to participate in IDX feeds, cooperate with all brokers, encourage sellers to pay /include competitive buyer agent splits, and post on multiple real estate sites/portals. Yes, you have to price competitive to sell. Buyers buy by comparison, and if the competing property down the street offers more power for the punch, the buyers will gravitate toward the competition. You need to price right (I have no comment that you are or are not priced right, I have not looked at your property or the comps). And, you need to be broadly eposed to reach buyers directly or through their agents. When we represent sellers, we stress the imporatnce of both in order to achieve a contract at the highest price and best terms.

Deborah
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Fri Nov 9, 2007
Marc,

Our Garden State MLS number is 2434453 in case anyone is interested. It is also zoned for business use so if anyone has clients that may want a home and a business, this is a possibility for them.

Thanks, Kim
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Fri Nov 9, 2007
JR,

Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Hi Kim,

There is no problem with agencies using IDX. He's talking about a longstanding anti-trust action that involves the National Association of Realtors and control of listing data. This has nothing at all to do with day-to-day use of IDX as it is now implemented. 90% of all active listings in Bloomingdale are presently IDX'ed. There is no reason to wait for the outcome of any lawsuits.

As far as lowering price, it can't hurt if you are not getting any showings. The market is obviously much slower and we are getting close to the holiday season, which is traditionally slow aside from the problems in the market at large.

I would get IDX'ed, and try 2 more weeks at your current price. If you still get no showings, you can try a lower price. Also, internet syndication would be a good idea. Aside from the MLS and Realtor websites, there are a whole host of sites where consumers search for real estate. For example, Google, Yahoo Real Estate, here on Trulia, propsmart, edgeio, oodle, craigslist, ebay homes, nytimes.com, real estate advisor, Homescape, backpage, Vast, etc. Internet syndication is the process where your listing is fed to all of these sites along with pictures and descriptions. Have your agent get to work on this also. You never know where your buyer is coming from. You want your listing to be displayed on every possible home search website.

-Marc
J R, , New York, NY
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Kim wrote:
We can't afford to lower the price too much more or we won't be able to afford another larger home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow. I don't know what to say, Kim. If your house is priced too high because there's a number you have to "get", it won't matter if it's on the IDX, MLS, or a billboard in Times Square. When buyers ask why your house is priced high, should your agent say "well, they want to buy a bigger house, so they need to get that much"? If a buyer can only afford 100,000 less than you are asking, would it matter to you that they couldn't afford to pay your asking price? Of course not. And a buyer doesn't care how much your new house costs either. A house sells for what someone else is willing to pay, NOT what you need. Buyers are educated. They know what houses are selling for. I would have passed on taking the listing, hearing those words.
John Barr, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hello Marc,

Yes IDX is important for exposure as well as other internet technology to drive consumers to websites. Most Realtors I know who are working with buyers call or e-mail them immediately when a home that is priced well in their range comes on the market. As you well know if priced correctly it will normally sell very quickly and for the most money. That is why in the best markets when homes are getting multiple bids there are also homes that expire. In depreciating markets the same is true; there are homes selling quickly and homes that expire. A home doesn't sell because the consumer doesn't equate price to value. You can take a full page ad out in the NY Times but if the home is not priced correctly it is not going to sell for that price and people will by pass it. Sellers need to be educated by Realtors about different markets and how to position themselves when in a Buyer's Market.
Justin Kilis…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Is your home currently listed on GSMLS? If it is and you do not see it on the other Realtor websites, then the problem is his office doesn't participate. It is rather easy to get IDX cooperation. Some agents and offices of smaller companies may not be technologically savvy and thus may be unaware as to how to do it. You can call the GSMLS and ask if that office participates
Web Reference:  http://www.agentjustin.com
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
No, her problem is simply that her home listing is not appearing on all the various Realtor websites because her agency appears to be purposefully excluding her listing from being shared through the IDX system.

I forget how the LIBOR MLS works (I've blocked it out, lol), but here you can input the MLS number on any IDX site and the listing should appear. Kim is unable to find her listing after inputting its MLS number.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Mon Nov 5, 2007
You would think he wants to give your property as much exposure as possible - Maybe he does not belong to Garden State MLS?

If he is an out of area Realtor and somehow you signed on with him, then he may have to pay and join the MLS to be able to do that.

If he is not an out of area Realtor, and he continues to ignore your request, you might want to talk to his broker and find out what is really going on. Perhaps the broker can help you with talking to him.

Sylvia
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Jan 5, 2008
Hi Kim,
We are currently not representing sellers in Passaic County, but I do wish you the best of luck. I did want to comment about your statement concerning price adjustments. A Realtor is doing you a disservice if he/she does not provide you market feedback and advice on the necessary adjustments needed to secure a sales contract. I acknowledge that there is a difference between informing and pressuring.

Obtaining a contract will result from proper pricing and aggressive marketing. Make the price too high and it reduces or eliminates the goal of a sales contract. Also, minimal marketing will also negatively impact your ability to get highest and best price. You will need to pay enough to a Realtor to obtain high caliber and aggrressive marketing.

Open houses are part of a full scale comprehensive marketing program. I generally recommend sellers allow a few. Mulitple open houses make you appear desparate and overpriced.

Best of luck to you. You will probably meet a few prospective listing agents here on Trulia. If you post your email address on your profile, Realtors will be able to reach out to you that way. Totally your choice, of course.

All the best.
Deborah
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Sat Jan 5, 2008
Just to give you an update. We will be cancelling my contract with our realtor today by mutual agreement. We will be looking for a more internet savvy realtor and one who will be able to work with us (no open houses and no pressure to lower price) and who is from the area and doesn't charge large commissions.

Thanks, Kim
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Wed Dec 26, 2007
Thanks for your answers. Just to note...my agent/broker is avoiding my IDX requests. We have a contract with him until Feb 11th. After that, we will probably look for another agent that has a reasonable commission rate and is willing to work with me. Thanks for your input. Hope you have a great holiday!

Thanks, Kim
J R, , New York, NY
Fri Nov 9, 2007
You are correct, Kim, buyers want to know why people are selling, but you know what? THAT is irrelevant also! Buyers always ask me why, in the hopes they can find out if a seller is desperate or how motivated they are. When they say why are they moving, I answer "Probably for the same reason YOU are moving, they either want a bigger house or a job transfer....what difference does it make". I have said in the past there must be some "secrets to negotiating" book I haven't read, but yes, buyers are very interested in some things that are irrelevant to them, but it's usually in the quest to pay LESS, not help the seller out.
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Fri Nov 9, 2007
JR and Deborah,

Thanks for your responses. I understand that people don't care why BUT I also have known that buyers also like to know WHY someone is selling their house. I have been asked by many people why we are selling our house and that is why I stated what I did to JR. I understand that price is very important in the current market and the buyer doesn't care that I would need a bigger house. I also have done my homework for similar houses and watch the market almost daily. I am also a buyer so I understand how important price is. People buy for a variety of reasons and living in Northern New Jersey there are people who don't care about price and others who really do. I, as a buyer, care about price. I was just explaining my position. If it doesn't sell then we will take it off the market until the situation improves. As long as my daughter gets into the school we need her to, we can live there for another school year.

Kim
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Oh and here is a link to the "lawsuit"
Web Reference:  http://www.realtor.org/ILD
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Just to let everyone know. My broker called me and told me that the reason he is not using IDX was he was in some sort of real estate conference last week and they said that there may be some lawsuits as a result of misuse of information through IDX listings. He said he is waiting for the outcome of these lawsuits. Has anyone heard of this? He also asked me to lower my price a little bit. He is concerned that no agents have even requested a showing.
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Hi Kim,

If you want, contact me through my website. I know of a really neat program that will stitch photos together perfectly to achieve a wide angle look. It's perfect for small rooms and digital cameras without wide angle lenses.

Also, go online and take a look at the pictures for 96. They were pretty good and made me want to look at the inside. You want to shoot for that effect. Sort of like a good movie trailer - the pictures should make you want to see the movie.

-Marc
Web Reference:  http://www.marcpaolella.com
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Marc, that is our house. 96 is smaller than ours on the inside and their yard is not as nice and they had to sell quickly due to a divorce. I will take your suggestions into consideration. We were trying to take more inside pictures but pictures like the bathroom were hard to take due to its angle. Thanks for your assistance.

Kim
Dani Padovano, , 08050
Thu Nov 8, 2007
Kim,
I think that you hit the nail on the head - if you agent is the broker and he doesn't even have a website then you are probably right about not being interent savy - the other thing is the busy road - I know in my area we have a main road that no one will look at the houses on because there are too many others to choose from that are not on a main road and those on the main road get no activity either - that could be the biggest hurdle you will have to over come to get your home sold whether you are on the IDX or not - the only way to get a house on a busy rodad sold is to make it have somthing special - so you have got to dress it up with great curb appeal and make the inside look like a show place. I don't have access to your mls but if you want to email me the pictures I can give you my two cents. And the only other way to sell on a busy rd is to be the lowest priced in the area. I know you said you did not want to lower it much more but the loss you take on your sale you will make up on getting a lower price on your purchase - so don't be afraid to lower your price. It could make the differance in getting some people in the door. There is some one out there who is looking in your area who can't afford anything that's on the market right now - make your house the one that he has to buy because it is the only one he can afford because it is the lowest priced and he will sacrafice the busy rd location for getting into a home.
Dani Padovano
Crossroads Realty
609-607-8600
daniellep@crossroadsrealtynj.com
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi Kim,

Before I answer, there are ethical considerations to cover. Once you sign a listing agreement with an agency, you are in a "protected relationship" as far as interference from other agents. This makes sense. Without this rule, the industry would be a chaotic free-for-all where agents would step over themselves to get you to "break your contract" by promising you the moon and finding fault with your current agent. This would not serve the public at all.

So while it is possible to break a listing contract, it is usually done as a drastic last resort in a case where an agency is totally unresponsive or utterly incompetent.

Your present dilemma is not such a case. Your agency wants to sell your house very badly, you can trust me on that one. If you are in the MLS and on Realtor.com, and your pictures and descriptions are good, you are off to a good start. Add some open houses and advertising and that should help with conventional local buyers. The best way to get more open houses and advertising is to remember the adage: the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Pleasantly start squeaking to get that going.

The IDX problem can also be solved, you'll just have to keep pushing. I have placed a link below to assist your IDX effort. Have your agent go to this document and it will help with the IDX process.

By the way, post your MLS number so we can take a look at your house!

-Marc
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Wed Nov 7, 2007
WOW! I can't believe the response that I am getting. I didn't get a chance to call my agent/broker. My agent is also the broker and owner of his own real estate agency. He doesn't even have a website so he may not be too internet savvy. Anyway, I emailed GSMLS and they told me to contact my real estate agency because they don't get involved with these issues.

John, price is in line with other prices around here. I did my homework and found out that other homes are around the same price. Some were priced more and some a little less. We can't afford to lower the price too much more or we won't be able to afford another larger home. I have also been on the buying end and have seen prices drop very low and houses still not sell. Location may be an issue as well. We live off of busy road so that could it as well. I am just surprised that NO ONE has called. Our agent said a couple of people have inquired but nothing further than that.

Well we will just keep on trying but I will contact my realtor and have him give me the reason. Originally he had told me that he was having a problem with his IDX and that he would get it fixed in a few weeks. That was in late August.

But once you sign a contract with an agency, don't you have to stay with them until the agreement expires?

Thanks again, Kim
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Hi John,

Respectfully disagree with lack of IDX participation as being unimportant. The importance of Internet visibility cannot be overstated at this point. Agents rarely pick the house anymore. More and more, buyers make the selection online and the Realtors role is to arrange physical showings and figure out how low the offer can be and still have a chance at acceptance. From the marketing end, you need the house to be visible on every possible Internet site. In the old days the MLS was enough. Not anymore. IDX is a piece of the puzzle, but it is a huge piece.
Dani Padovano, , 08050
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Have you tried bypassing the agent since he is avoiding the issue and asking his broker? Maybe they don't participate and if the broker hears it enough from the sellers he will start to participate! Don't bash the agent to the broker - take the approach of your looking for the brokers help - you kill more bees with honey!!
Dani Padovano
Crossroads Realty
732-607-8600
daniellep@crossroadsrealtynj.com
John Barr, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
Kim,
I don't know why your Realtor didn't put it on IDX because most of the large Real Estate Brokers are in contract with IDX. Are you listed with a limited services company? If so perhaps they don't offer that service. I don't believe that not being on IDX is keeping your home from selling. I don't know your home or your listing price but if you have been on the market for more than 40 days you are over priced in this depreciating market. If you are not getting showings it is because the Realtors have rejected your listing price as unrealistic. If you are getting showings and no offers the consumer has rejected your price as unrealistic. Your agent may have told you this already, if not he or she should.
J R, , New York, NY
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Some brokers don't participate in the IDX system, too.
J R, , New York, NY
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Kim asked:
The problem is my MLS number doesn't come up on various real estate websites so if someone wants to look it up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Are you saying your listing is there but the MLS number isn't? Because in our IDX system, MLS number doesn't show.
Chuck Benedon, , Wisconsin
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I agree with marc. Fire him. Lazy and stupid do not substitute for diligence. :-)

also, Deborah...when you are online and want to give your email address to someone, type it like this:
deborah[at]Peninsula.com so the scrapers/phishers won't find you and start spamming you to death.

or, on this site, click the button that allows people to contact you.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Nov 6, 2007
This is fascinating to watch!

KIm, you are fortunate to have all these PROs wanting to help.

This is called Customer Service and you are not even their customer! Just think about how good the service will be if you are actually the customer :-)

I know you are in good hands!

Best from Marin!
Sylvia
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
HI Kim,

I was trying to follow your exchange w/ Marc, and caught your comment about a call back from the Broker/Owner. Are you saying the Broker/Owner wants you to explain why you he does not have IDX? I got confused. Maybe I read too quickly and missed something. Sincerely, I feel for your frustration.

IDX is important in providing maximum exposure to other buyer agent clients. Those buyers may search on the websites of their agents or brokers. Buyer agents send email updates of new listings to their clients and the data that is searched will not include your property if it is not in the IDX feed.

I would give a bit of benefit of the doubt to the agent. Maybe he/she did not know how to solve the problem and was not intentionally withholding the listing from IDX. I am not dismissing the fact that you are frustrated, your property is not being fed via IDX where you want it to go, and you are investing your time and energy here. When I comment that this may be a result of an oversight or not knowing how to resolve, I am still being mindful of your frustrations and trying to provide you helpful advice to get the quickest resolution.

Ask either your agent or the Broker if this is by intent or error. If it is an error, ask them to contact GS (Garden State MLS) and feel free to refer them to this post. If it is the policy of that brokerage to withhold listings from IDX distribution, it is something you must discuss with them. You will have to discuss your options with them as it pertains to the listing contract or their ability to meet your expectations. If your agent and broker want your listing to be fed everywhere, other broker sites and Realtor.com, but this is an error, GS will be able to resolve it quickly. GS resolved this quickly for us.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

Deborah Madey - Broker
New Jersey
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Deborah,

It is listed on Garden State MLS and that went over to Realtor.com. So our listing IS on the Garden State MLS AND Realtor.com. BUT the MLS number doesn't come up on other realtor's websites.

Thanks for your response, Kim
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Wow, amazing. And not acceptable from my viewpoint. The only reason NOT to IDX at this point is because you feel that you will lose business to your competitors by having potential buyers shopping on THEIR website and not yours.

In other words, pure greed. I would not continue my relationship with them if they do not IDX your listing. If they CHOOSE not to IDX, they are CHOOSING to do a bad job for you, while having no problem taking your commission dollars at closing.

Not acceptable.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
HI Kim,

I am a Broker in NJ, and we did have some minor difficulties getting our listings from Garden State MLS to show up on Realtor.com. (They do now!)

When we had this problem, it only affected Realtor.com, I think. I believe that it fed via IDX to other broker sites. Since Reatlor.com feeds to a few other sites, those sites also did not show our listings. (They show up now!)

I phoned Realtor.com and my rep there told me GS (Garden State) does not automatically feed listings to Realtor.com until a form is filed. I contacted GS, obtained the form, returned it and within 2 days our listings appeared on Realtor.com.

Since I am the Broker, I could fill out the form for the company. Once identified, it was quick and easy to correct.

I can't speak to if your agent/listing broker wants to intentionally withhold your data or, as in our case, we wanted our sellers on Realtor.com and everywhere. I have a "Showcase Acct" with Realtor.com which allows me to customize the descriptions, add headlines, banners, etc. I was logging into Realtor.com with the intention of customizing a listing, and it wasn't there. Our listings used to auto feed to GS, and for some reason ceased. File a form, and instant fix.

You can pass this on to your agent; perhaps it will help.

Best of luck.

Deborah Madey - Broker
New Jersey
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Tue Nov 6, 2007
No Marc. I did that the first time. I only put in Bloomingdale, NJ and it doesn't come up. I just got a call from my broker/owner and he said to call him back and explain why he doesn't have IDX. Great, huh?
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
OK try this. Go to weichert.com and search for everything in your town without specifying any parameters. Make sure you use your township or borough name, NOT your post office.

For example, if you live in Flanders, NJ, you would type in Mount Olive, NJ and not Flanders, NJ. If it comes up, we're OK.

Let us know if you find it.

If not: The decision to IDX listings is made at the brokerage level. Your agent does not make that decision individually. So the next step is to make a call to the broker of record (in person) and ask him if their office is using IDX. I find it unfathomable in this slow market that an office would limit exposure by not choosing this very effective (and basically free!) method of achieving maximum exposure of your home to the market.

If the broker says that it is their policy not to IDX, then insist that the policy be changed for your listing. They can make an exception for your listing even if it is their usual policy not to IDX. Don't take no for an answer on this one. There are many sites on the web where your house will be missing if they fail to IDX. It simply has to be there.
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Marc, no it doesn't come up using my town. I don't think he used IDX at all.
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
Hi Kim,
Of course, your property should come up on the various realtor websites if you type in the mls number directly. However, very few people will want to do that. Most will hit your home through a search using parameters such as location, price, etc.

Have you tried searching weichert.com and remax-nj.com for your listing by simply entering a town and price range? It should come up. If it does, you were IDX'ed properly and the public will be able to find your home. If not, let us know, and we'll try further problem solving.
Kim, Home Seller, 07442
Tue Nov 6, 2007
My realtor/broker/owner has posted our listing on Garden State MLS and then that posted it to Realtor.com. The problem is my MLS number doesn't come up on various real estate websites so if someone wants to look it up on Weichert.com or Remax-nj.com, it doesn't show up. I am getting very frustrated with this. I think I am losing market exposure.
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I would call him and tell him that unless you see your home on Realtor.com in 3 days, you are withdrawing the listing from the market. There is absolutely no excuse for this. Also, call the agency and ask to speak to the broker of record. Tell him or her the same thing. We are in too slow of a market for you to put up with poor service.
Heather Dacc…, , Monmouth County, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I would say that he does not belong to Garden State MLS and just does not want to tell you. Each MLS requires membership and there is a fee involved. I can't think of any other reason.
Ute Ferdig -…, Agent, New Castle, DE
Mon Nov 5, 2007
Hi Kim. The only reason I can think of for you agent's reluctance to allow IDX for your property is that he wants to increase his chance at double-ending the deal. Since you say he seems to be avoiding the issue, it sounds like he has not given you a compelling reason. IDX was designed to increase the visibility of listings and unless a client does not want it, I can't think of a legitimate reason for the exclusion. Maybe other real estate professionals have ideas that I have not thought of.
Web Reference:  http://www.theMLShub.com