I am a landlord and currently in a process of evicting a tenant due to unpaid rent.

Asked by Mc, Houston, TX Wed May 14, 2008

The house has been in messy condition and who knows how many repairs that we need to do after we gain possesion of the house. Can I file a suit to claim for the damages from the tenant? What is the procedure?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed May 14, 2008
It all depends on how your lease is authored. Yes you need the following:
a) Document the property via pics
b) Smalls claims court is up to $10K
c) You need to back out their deposit from the damage
d) Send a certified return receipt to them listing everything demanding for the payment within 15 days or you will file suit
e) Cost you $100 per person on the lease file on each the same lawsuit in small claims court
f) You will never see your money however you will obtain a judgement on their credit report
g) Turn over to a collection attorney that will handle on a contingency WHO knows you may see some of your money
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote
Juan Carlos, , 77095
Wed May 14, 2008
Hi Mc,

It really depends on what the lease agreement says. Your best bet is to take this to a small claims court.

Sorry I can't be of further assistance.
Web Reference:  http://www.har.com/jch
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more