How important are the Sunday classified print ads in your home search?

Asked by Jennifer Monroe, Charlotte, NC Fri Jul 27, 2007

Answers

14
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Sat Jul 28, 2007
I'm usually the contrarion, but this once, I'm going to agree with everyone. Classified newspaper ads have become passe'. Tracking my ad budget in the early 90's I could expect one phone call or open house visit for every $50 I spent on advertising. I knew it was even better than that because for every phone call that I got. I could realistically expect that another agent was receiving a call on my listing too. By the turn of the century, it was down to $200 per phone call. In 2005 and 2006, it was $800 of ad expenditure per call.
The reason that classifed advertising is still done at all is to assure the seller that the agent is giving 100% full sevice, using ALL methods, including incremental marginal traditional methods as well as new technologies (Many of which are also marginal and incremental)
Web Reference:  http://www.metrolistmls.com
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Jennifer, I believe that newspapers are becoming less and less important to buyers. Unfortunately we have seen calls from newspaper ads diminish year after year, and more up to date methods of advertising, such as the internet, truly pick up the pace greatly. I use all methods available to expose my listings, but newspapers (and print in general) isn't proving to be the benefit it once was.
Web Reference:  http://www.ChrisTesch.com
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Sat Jul 28, 2007
Linda's answer was so good I'm going to quote it; just to be sure everyone sees it, as she was the only one to make this extremely valid point:

"Sunday classifieds are VERY IMPORTANT for getting listings not selling them. Sellers and potential sellers love seeing houses in the paper. They think that it matters and they feel like something is being done that is special."

Now I am going to be the lone voice of contention... In a rural area, where cell service is spotty, broadband is unavailable, and even the agents aren't internet savvy, the Sunday paper is still a necessity. Yes, it's true. I work in a strange and diverse market...
Heather Fern…, Home Owner, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Disclaimer, I'm biased as a Trulian.

That being said, I tried to reach an agent regarding an open house that I wanted to check out a few weekends ago. I found her listing on Trulia, looked at her web page and checked out her broker site and I couldn't find anything. Then I left 3 messages btwn friday night/saturday morning trying to figure out when the open house was taking place.

Well, she got back to me on Sunday and was very sweet and apologetic. She told me that it was in the paper and of course I missed it because it was on Saturday!!! WHAT? I'm not saying that it shouldn't be in the paper...but why have a website if you aren't going to put the most up to date info on it?!?
Carrie, Both Buyer And Seller, Say Cheese!
Tue Aug 28, 2007
I use the Sunday (or Thurs. or Sat., depending on your local custom) classified RE ads like we used to many decades ago use the Sears catalog--as a Wish Book. Decor ideas presale, listings of Open Houses. In California, RE is our second favorite activity.

For real searches, I use MLS, Trulia, Craig's List, Oodle, and specialty RE agents' sites. I also use LoopNet, and auction sites. Most print edition newspapers also have an online edition, which I prefer, if I am researching.

The one print edition exception is the Wall Street Journal for vacation and high-end properties.
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Aug 14, 2007
I try different ways to advertise my properties, but I stress the effectiveness of internet ads.

I am very upfront with my sellers that I don't think Sunday Classified is very effective (I cite the statistics) but I will do it for 'them' periodically if they feel it's necessary. However, open house ads are important for convenience of buyers and agents who are sending buyers. There are published statistics on how buyers find the house online first before they even contact an agent.

Many prospective buyers who came to my open house said that they saw the ad online and they just had to come and see it. Only a handful said that they saw the print ad and they wanted to come and see it - although to be fair, I don't do print ad as often.

I do have to say that I watch certain print ad 'war' in this area; it is a good way to get Listings. I also heard that certain local paper's revenue is down because realtors are not advertising as much because it is not cost effective for them and the sellers.
Maureen Fran…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sat Jul 28, 2007
I can just say that we get almost no calls anymore from our office's print ads. We do not do personal print ads and we haven't in a long time. We use lots of different sites on the web and we DO get calls from those.
Web Reference:  http://mioaklandcounty.com
Linda J Sears, , Lady Lake, FL
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Jennifer,

Sunday classifieds are VERY IMPORTANT for getting listings not selling them. Sellers and potential sellers love seeing houses in the paper. They think that it matters and they feel like something is being done that is special. Fact is buyers very rarely come from the newspaper. They are coming more and more from the internet. Personally I have not received a call from a newspaper ad in over 3 months.

Good Luck,
Linda J Sears
Ruthless, , 60558
Tue Aug 14, 2007
It used to be if you paid for a print ad, you might get the online for free or at a discount. Now it is going the other way around. If you pay for online advertising, you might get the print for free or at a discount. My first and favorite source in the Chicagoland area is ChicagoTribune.com. One of the reasons is because I can see Agency listing AND FSBOs.
Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.oak-park-il.com
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Tue Aug 14, 2007
i am finding more Realtors steering away from print media and moving to internet advertising. In addition many of the buyers are going to the internew ie. craigslist and newspaper on line to look for the homes.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Sat Jul 28, 2007
We only run classifieds for open houses. Beyond that, we rarely place classifieds, nor display in the classified section on Sundays. If you ever see an ad in a Sunday classified from us that is not an OH ad, it was done to satisfy a seller. I consider it a goodwill expense, not a legitimate advertising expense.

We do selective print advertising elsewhere that can be effective.
Deborah Madey - Broker
Peninsula Realty Group, Inc.
(732) 530-7755
Deborah@PeninsulaFirst.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2007
Who reads the paper anymore or has time to look at classifieds? I don't think I've had a call off a newspaper add in a couple of years.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Fri Jul 27, 2007
The Sunday classifieds will only give you a small sampling of what is available. For a more complete list, try Realtor.com or your local agent who can not only show you everything that is available, but can also keep you updated when new listings come on that might interest you!
Ruthmarie Hi…, , Westchester County, NY
Sat Jul 28, 2007
I work in Westchester and broadband is readily available. However, we still get a significant number of inquiries from print. It is very surprising. When i do an open house, almost half of the people coming through the door sight print. I wish this wasn't the case because its very expensive ($$$). But in attracting the over 55 age group who are hunting to down-size - it is still a necessary evil. Anyone under 55 pretty much uses on-line services.