How has technology helped/hurt the real estate market?

Asked by Trulia, San Francisco, CA Mon Feb 25, 2013

Answers

19
Patty Marken’s answer
Patty Marken, Agent, Sonoma, CA
Wed Feb 27, 2013
It has really helped, business can almost be run from your smart phone. The thing that can be time consuming is that new and better things in technology seem to come out daily and you can get caught up in it. I do love being able to respond to a lead the minute in comes in no matter where I am. the question is, does technology keep us working 24/7? Sometimes it seems that way to me.
Ethelrapp, Renter, Brooklyn, NY
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Def helped! I can find houses and apartments easier than ever without leaving my computer. I can search by location, price, bedrooms/bathrooms, crime...I mean, it just makes my search so much more accessible.
Keith Jean-P…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Mon Feb 25, 2013
In my opinion it has drastically helped the market because the resources available to buyers now are so vast, that if you work the system properly as an agent, you can have your Internet clients ready to go and as a result only show a few houses before they proceed to make an offer. Gone are they days of showing 20 or 30 houses before they write an offer. As an example, I took out four clients this weekend, two of them are writting offers. The first one saw two houses before the first offer and the other saw five houses in one day before the first offer. The Internet Resources available today have allowed me to overhaul my business so much that the guessing work has been elimiated and I am just showing houses to clients so they can verify and confirm that all the information I provided them is accurate. I can only imagine how it is going to be in 10 years.
Lawry Mattes…, , Richmond, CA
Sun Mar 17, 2013
I'd like to add few real estate market tools like:
Google SketchUp/Maps - for respectively 3D or life property presentation;
http://www.zillow.com/ - Zillow is probably one of the best places to find a hint or search for a real estate interest;
http://www.city-data.com/ - huge information source for pretty much every area, with housing, crime, school performance, and more important area statistics;
http://www.webcrm.com - CRM cloud based solution for handling pretty much every aspect of your management/paper work with business intelligence tools accessible from any browser or mobile device at fair SMB price range.
Paul Thomas, Home Owner, Colorado
Tue Mar 5, 2013
Google Earth is something real estate professionals use all the time now. You’re talking on the telephone with someone about a certain property, and you can pull it up on Google Earth and really see it from all sides: the context, what it looks like from the roof. Customer relationship management [CRM] software is also a big deal now.

http://www.homescoloradosprings.com/
Google Earth
Flag Tue Mar 5, 2013
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
It's all good! Improved technology has made it better and easier for participants at every level: buyer, seller, agents, brokers, etc.

In my opinion, one of the greatest benefits of current technology is that buyers now have access to detailed information tht makes them more informed and better equipped to be a meaningful participant.

Jorge Vega, Agent, Chicago, IL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Technology has brought instant gratification to clients and ultimate exposure to agents. Gone are the days were post cards and cookies were the norm.
Susan Hadaway, , Tampa, FL
Wed Feb 27, 2013
(Since World War II) the real estate market would not have thrived were it not for technology. Now that we are recovering from our downward spiral, internet-related technology will greatly assist us in transferring real estate assets.
Web Reference:  http://youtu.be/lE9qzHLAhtE
Bill Luna, , Round Rock, TX
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Made reaching out and being reached by prospective tenants easier, cheaper.
Kyle Graham, Agent, University Place, WA
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Definitely has helped. It has helped agents and buyers. Only has a few hiccups that I have seen and that is mostly agents faults who dont report to Trulia that the property they entered has been sold. I am contacted alot on properties that sold months ago because the listing agent did not mark it sold.
Ernie Hatton, Agent, Winter Park, FL
Sun Mar 3, 2013
I've been selling real estate for 45 years. I'm 75 years old. I create my own websites, have several blogs, use my smart hone, my MAC and PC. [you need both for various reasons]. In the day , as they say, I sold, or had a listing sell, almost everyday. Now I just enjoy what I'm doing. Anyone who doesn't use the technology we have today is foolish.
Leona King, , Houston, TX
Sat Mar 2, 2013
Technology has helped revolutionize real estate by the public being able to search for properties from the comfort of your own computer. Now home valuation sites are becoming more accurate in the actual home price instead of a price range.
Kelly Miller, Home Owner, Santa Ana, CA
Sat Mar 2, 2013
Real estate market is getting more exposure through new technologies. Getting buyers and selling property is getting more easy than before. Posting photos on the web help both buyers and sellers.
Russ Ravary, Agent, Commerce Township, MI
Fri Mar 1, 2013
Technology has helped consumers with the free flow of information tremendously
Joseph Roraff, Agent, Onalaska, WI
Fri Mar 1, 2013
I use my iPad for everything. I have paperless transactions and all my contracts are saved on the Internet in a secure vault. It saves time because there are less mistakes and no need to try and read someone's bad handwriting.
Ross Anthony, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Feb 28, 2013
First, I should say I'm a major proponent of integrating useful technology to streamline processes and make systems more efficient for the client.

HOWEVER,

Not all technology (devices, software, apps, etc.) needs to be used and can often become a cumbersome distraction that adds very little value. Stick to a what works and spend the time to master the most effective tools, rather than trying to integrate every new iPhone app into your daily regime.

Be smart and selective - don't over consume.
Debra Attman, Agent, lutherville, MD
Wed Feb 27, 2013
It keeps me on top of everything 24/7 I am able to be a much more efficient agent because of the advances in technology!!
Greg Palazzo, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Technology has helped all of us by allowing the agent, as well as the consumer, to be empowered with answers... when they need it! We all do a better and more efficient job as a result of technology.

I can go on and on...
Joe Phillips, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Overall technology has been great for the real estate industry. One small down side is due to sites like Zillow, etc homeowners can have a bad perception of their home values. Figuring out what a home is really worth is a lot harder than Zillow makes it out to be. Sometimes its tough to get people to accept that their value isn't what an on-line site says it is. Anyway, that's just one small downside, overall having more information in the hands of the clients thanks to technology is a good thing.
Trulia to the resue!
Flag Wed Feb 27, 2013