How do I find out what the property tax rate is for a home in california?

Asked by Sara, 95829 Wed Jan 16, 2008

Answers

3
Team Forss R…, Agent, Temecula, CA
Wed Jan 16, 2008
Hi Mrs. G.

If you go to the county tax assessor website, enter in the address; look for the section where it says "Review my property tax" or "pay my property tax" and it should show. Now keep in mind that Riverside county tax site is down right now because of end of year but it will be back up in a few days.

If it's easier, you can call the title company in your area and the will have the information available too.

I guess you could also post the address here and a local realtor can give you that infor. in seconds..

Good Luck.

Lisa
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Jan 16, 2008
Mrs. G......

Property taxes in California are based on 1% of the sales prices plus any bonds or assessments that have been passed in the local community. Each community is different.

In general we calculate for 1.25% of the purchase price.
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Roberta Murp…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Fri Jan 18, 2008
Property tax rates will vary by community, but will generally fall in the 1 to 1.5 percent range-and are based on the purchase price of the property.. Older communities generally have lower tax rates because they likely have no Mello Roos fees--which are often factored into the property taxes.

Mello Roos are generally found in newer subdivisions where the builder passes on the infrastructure costs to the buyers, which are paid out over time, much like a bond. In our San Diego real estate market, we see Mello Roos that range from $50 to $400 or more per month.

As Pam mentions, 1 percent of the purchase price is the baseline property tax.