How can I get a listing of places that cater to low income?

Asked by Alfred Sansom Iii, Detroit, MI Wed Dec 19, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Wed Dec 19, 2007
Hi Alfred, some interesting answers so far. Here are some suggestions
1. The MSHDA program offers lower interest loans to home buyers with an income of less than (I believe) $72,000. There is a list of qualified lenders available on their website. For this program they may require a minor dependent.

2. HUD offers a variety of assistance programs throughout Michigan to help people rent or purchase a home. A list of qualified lenders and housing counselors is available on this website.

DMC offers a walk to work housing assistance program for staff members
The site describes specifics.

I wish you luck. If none of these programs fit you're needs feel free to contact me, I'll look further.
2 votes
Jessica DeL…, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Wed Dec 19, 2007
Hi Alfred, I would also suggest checking with the city of Detroit (or whatever city you are looking to buy in) to see if they have a mortgage assitance program. Many cities will offer low or no interest loans for a down payment in order to make the home you want more affordable. You can typically find out about existing programs in your area by visiting your city website. Here in Oakland, CA we have it is a great resource to finding about many things happening in our community. Best of luck to you!

1 vote
Lara McHenry, Agent, Spokane, WA
Wed Dec 19, 2007

The first key to finding a list of homes that matches your requirements is knowing your price limit. This can be done by getting a pre-approval with a lender. The lender will assess your income, credit and other aspects that define the amount you are approved to spend if you are getting a loan. When all of that is done, you would then contact your Realtor and tell them that you would like to see a list of homes, in your price range.

Now if you are looking in terms of renting for a lower income home you should check with your local department of health and human services and talk to the appropriate person for low income housing.

I hope this helps you.
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more