Employment worries

Asked by Ilene Rachel, 11758 Fri Mar 21, 2008

My husband is a salesman. He's not ready to retire yet, so when we move to PA, finding a decent (well-paying) job is a concern. How can we find out the possibilities within a reasonable distance from Albrightsville?

Answers

3
Mim Heisey, , Shippensburg, PA
Fri Mar 21, 2008
Good Question Ilene.
I am not in the Albrightsville area but let me give you some perspective that may help you, wherever you are relocating. Make sure you check out what pay scale is attached to a 'decent well paying job' in the area to which you are planning to move(Albrightsville). Quantify it in dollars and cents for your question. That will help those answering to be more helpful.
Many people have moved into our area, (rural, S Central PA with faulty expectations of pay scale. Having sold their long time home in another area (S Jersey or Metro-DC or wherever), they have a significant chunk of equity that they bring to purchase a new home in their new nieghborhood. So they buy, delighted to see how much house they can buy compared to where they were living. If they are planning to continue working to support the family, or to subsidize their retirement income they may be shocked to find that working at Lowe's or McDonalds or the local Sears store only pays 1/2 of what it paid back home.
We have many lovely ammenities here: small town atmosphere, clean(er) air, low crime rates, wide open spaces, friendly people, and more. There is a reason that the housing and cost of living is lower in some aresa than others---the pay scales likely are , too.
Hope that helps
mim
Hi, , Virginia
Fri Mar 28, 2008
find a job first
then move

anyways

good luck
Christopher…, Agent, Spring City, PA
Tue Mar 25, 2008
I would like to think in light of the current econmoy that if you are moving to PA that you would find the job first, then the home. The other way around could be disastrous unless you have good cash reserves.