Does anyone use social media in their marketing plans? What has worked or not worked for you?

Asked by Jeannie LaPlaca, 60521 Thu May 14, 2009

I'm trying to integrate Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc into my marketing strategy, but the social media realm is so huge that I seem to get lost. I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with me or even recommend certain social media sites over others.

Answers

6
Matt Laricy’s answer
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Tue Jan 12, 2010
I use facebook, myspace, linkedin, and twitter. Here is a little tip from someone around my age.(mid 20s) If you are trying to reach out to first time buyers, dont promote your services too much. You will probably lose more friends than gain. Nobody wants to see your status everyday saying, "if you need real estate contact me." Maybe once a month say something like that. Its better to drop subtle hints. Like busy day showing houses in X area. And dont do that too often either. Its good to every now and again to drop hints, but not lay it on. If you do it this way, people will know you are in real estate, but not overbearing about it. Trust me this works. I pick up 2-3 clients a week this way.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
mlamericorp@aol.com
708-250-2696
Terri Bergma…, Agent, Hinsdale, IL
Wed Oct 30, 2013
I use all three but have found that Facebook and Linked In have been the most reliable. Like other agents have said, the people on your connections are people you already know. Plus everyone on my page love to see what properties are for sale and they even share these with their friends.
Catherine "C…, Agent, Metuchen, NJ
Tue Jan 12, 2010
Nope...too busy with Trulia...:)
Frances Flynn…, , State College, PA
Mon Jan 11, 2010
Jeannie, Hopefully by now your marketing strategy has evolved to a more secure place ... In the meantime, here is a Webinar replay and handout about developing a social media business plan.
Richard Ortiz, Agent, Katy, TX
Mon Nov 23, 2009
There are a few applications that post to different social networking sites at once so you don't need to duplicate your input. Check out PING it updates Twitter with other Social Networking Sites.

http://ping.fm

Hope this helps
Tracy Anders…, Agent, Hinsdale, IL
Thu May 14, 2009
I have been using all 3, just started using twitter a month ago, so I am still a bit of a novice there, but I am enjoying it. LinkedIn in is a must, but I haven't gotten that much traffic off of it. Facebook has been great, I have gotten in touch with old friends, kept in contact with current friends. I have gotten several clients from my Facebook connections, which isn't even like "work" these are just people I already know. Whatever you decide just don't be making it all about that your a Realtor, it is a huge turnoff. Someone described it to me this way, you wouldn't walk into a party and ask "Does anyone want to buy a house? I am Realtor." Just use it as another way to keep in touch and have fun with it.