Do you think Yellow Pages - online and/or print - are a good ad investment?

Asked by Jerry Toms, Toronto, OH Thu Aug 23, 2007

If yes what makes it worth it? If not, what's missing there? Txs

Answers

6
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Fri Aug 24, 2007
Do you use the Yellow Pages? I think they were vital in the past, I think it is perhaps not a good use of resources now. We recycle them at my house. I kept them for a while, but never used them anymore and instead now they go straight to recycle. I think the other problem is that there is not just one yellow pages any more. Therefore which one to choose? Spend your money marketing to people you know and who know you. I think you'll have better results.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Steve Ostrom, Agent, Roseville, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Same with us. One deal or two a year for our yellow page ad. I suppose it depends on your geographical location too. People that call on our yellow page ad tend to be in a higher age bracket we have found so it also depends on your target audience. Paper and seeing in front of you still does hold weight to some as opposed to Googling something or someone.

We have had more traffic from our Yahoo Local listing and of course our referrals and people stumbling upon our search engine. We are still juggling around the idea of having an online listing, but I think we are going to pass ultimately. We will see. It is about that time of year when you start to get hounded by the ad people. Hold out for a good deal when space becomes necessary to fill ! ;-) Local newspapers in our area seem to be offering better deals for ad space, but we have received not a single call of them. Granted we are probably getting moderate face/brand time, but past that, nothing.

There are so many free places to advertise on the internet, but it does take time if you have it to spare (or a good job for an assistant).
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 23, 2007
We have a small in column ad in the yellow pages for commerical. We average 1 contract a year for the last 3 years. 2 have been leases, 1 was a sale. Without the sale, it would have been breakeven.
Bridgette Ko…, , Florida
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Jerry,
I find them prohibitively expensive. Besides, personal referrals are always the best resource and they don't cost a thing. I'd like to hear individual agents (not teams or small brokerages) justify this cost. Any takers?
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Yellow pages are antiquated. Most folks go straight from the front porch to the garbage can with their books. Breaking a yellow pages contract is next to impossible. Some companies bill the advertising directly to the phone number. Not good. What if you miss the deadline of AUTOMATIC renewal by a day? You just stop paying for the ad if they don't let you out of the contract, right? Not so! Since it's tied to your phone number, they'll cut off your service entirely. Be careful with the yellow pages. I could put my phone number on my bunion, walk around barefoot for a day, and get more response than from the yellow pages.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
Chris Roark, , Raleigh, NC
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Great question - I agree with some of the other that they are expensive and there are other ways to get your name and number out. But I would like to follow the other comments.
Web Reference:  http://www.ChrisRoark.com