Tiffany Hua, Real Estate Pro in Fountain Valley, CA

Changing Host

Asked by Tiffany Hua, Fountain Valley, CA Sat Apr 16, 2011

Later on, if you found there is a better Host. Is there any affect to your website when changing Host service?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

5
Bob Davis, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Mon Dec 12, 2011
Well nobody really answered your question here. Is there going to be any affect on your website? its possible. If you change from godaddy to hostgator, or lets say you are using bluehost and you switch to madcow, etc etc. Each hosting company may have different guidlines as far as bandwith allowances, certain website templates my not work with every hosting company. And worst of all you may not get to transfer all your email addresses. With hostgator you can set up unlimted emails for each domain, so if you have 50 agents they can all have their own seperate email such as paul@tiffanybroker.com, james@tiffanybroker.com, jim@tiffanybroker.com, other hosting companies such as godaddy charger you per month, per email for anything over 1 custom email address. So its best to make sure you do lots of research before changing hosting companies. There are lots of things that can affect a sites performance form company to company. Also not all hostings companys allow you to instal IDX, so if you are usnig IDX on your site make sure any company you switch to allows for that.
David Pham, Agent, Garden Grove, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
If you are not a tech saavy, it is a good idea to consult with an expert. If you plan to do that yourself, here are few tips.

1. Backup your data
2. Make sure the new host is compatible with the previous host. There are big differences between Windows vs. Linux hosting. Even with same platforms, different version may cause unknown issues.
3. Try to keep all paths, variables, and other settings the same. Those tend to give lot of heahaches. Once you are familiar with your new environment, you can slowly change those to your needs.

Connie Bramb…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
Hi Tiffany,
Once you purchase your domain name it is yours. You can put it where ever you want. Hosting is sold buy the year, 2 years, 3 years ect. The longer you agree the better break you get per year. I have not seen any that are shorter than one year. But if you want to change after say 6 months of course you can; but you will not get a refund from the first server once you agree to your term. Try calling Vast Channel, they an do just about anything you need as far as real estate sites go. They also do great video of listings! Their number is 949-241-7259
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
Do you have a webmaster or a guru you use for your computer needs. I think that would be a good place to direct this question unless there's some real RE geeks in our midst. And if there are I'd sure like to meet them.
Ingrid Ski R…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
You can change to another host. I've done it. Just ask the host if they built it it's yours Ben I you in the future change to another host. Always good o ask and know there policy. Ingrid ski realtor.