Buyers: when you are moving to a big city (from out of state) do you search the city name or specific suburbs?

Asked by Ruthless, 60558 Thu Aug 30, 2007

For Example, if you are moving to the Chicago Area do you search Chicago or Oak Park or Naperville? Or say you are moving to Atlanta, would you search Suwanee or Gwinnett County?

Answers

6
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 30, 2007
Buyers really struggle with this. From the phone calls we get from buyers, or the email we get from them, they get really confused about the suburb names.

We get phone calls from NYC residents who wish to relocate to NJ. They really struggle with understanding where one suburb is in relationship to another.

Literally, we do snail mail fold out maps to these people....and they use them, too. So, snail mail is not competely dead yet. Buyers cannot get a view on a computer screen and aborb the complete area of mulitple communities.
J Lo, Home Buyer, California Glory, Brentwood, CA
Thu Aug 30, 2007
I have moved my entire life and it had been a difficult thing - that is - until the advent of the internet.

Prior to moving to Atlanta - I knew most areas around every major artery from a combination of city-data, greatschools, and that beautiful sattelite program - Google Earth.

I could SEE the subdivisions - I wanted to move to - SEE the houses and where they were in relation to the main roads and traffic patterns. I could nix any house if it was butted up against a main road or worse a lot with trash - I could SEE it!!

I registered at HomeScanner and got daily updates on current and new listings. I had an agent I fed the info to and he sent me the buyer reports. I had it down to a science.

Once I knew what I wanted and what schools were there - I built a traffic pattern via Traffic Alert. I knew exactly how much time it would take my husband to get home and what back roads he could take. It was amazing. It was as if we had lived here for years!

I know exactly how long it will take to date - because traffic alert tells me if he will encounter heavy or moderate traffic. So the dinner never gets spoiled.... what a life - when technology enters the forum!

Are ya' kinda gettin' the idea of why I became an agent? I have a passion for this thing - and I can find anyone what they want as long as they let me know their priority list...

Then we go shopping!!!
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Great question. My experience is buyers usually focus around the major suburbs around their employment. Many of our buyers start their research on the internet abd are pretty well versed when they make contact.
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Sep 5, 2007
Our new website will feature zone searching. If a buyer is considering a town, they can choose the zone for that town and find lisitngs in an area encompassing a 5 mile plus radius. I forgot to mention that on my original post.

Still, I find value in the old pull out map that lets you overview the entire area on a paper that expands 2 feet plus. It's one of the few remaining uses I have for true paper!
Fri Aug 31, 2007
Carrie!
I love Memphis... so much to do and yet it's affordable and manageable. Back in the day - Germantown was the up and coming "urban" commute.

I lived north of Memphis - more in the country. My oldest spent her elementary years there and we had a great life. I'm working on getting an invite to Memphis in May BBQ competition.

Keep me posted on your progress!
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Thu Aug 30, 2007
Ruth,
Great question. It fits me where I live. Found out today we are moving to Memphis! I will be watching this thread to gain some insight and ideas.

Jeanette,
I am about to embark on a move to Memphis area. I do not look forward to doing this. In fact I am dreading it. It is a good thing my husband likes the statistics. I don't know if it is because it is going to be a very hard move for my kids that I can't get inot it or what. Any ideas and encouragement would be great!