After a VERY long time we finally sold our home in Texas. We already bought two acres in Old Iron Town, in

Asked by Vito, Texas Fri Mar 21, 2008

the Dixie National Forest. We are now going to build a 1300 sq ft home there. Any advice. We want to have a basement. (as far as I know very few if any homes in Texas have basements. Proably because of the poor clay soil called Black Gumbo! During the hot dry summers the soil shrinks by several inches and people in Texas ACTUALLY HAVE TO WATER THIER FOUNDATIONS!)
Anyway we already had a perk test done. What kind of roofs are best ? If one lives in a forest I guess a fireproof roof would be smart? Does any one wory about grey water???
Thanks for any advice

Answers

1
Jackie Rankin, Agent, Fort Worth, TX
Mon Apr 14, 2008
First, congratulations on the sale of your home! Wow, one thing at a time!! I had to laugh at your comment about watering your foundation. When I tell out of state buyers that piece of information, they look at me like I'm crazy! HA! As far as roofs go, I would say that a metal roof would be a great investment. Not only will they help with the fire issue, but they also lower your insurance rates. As far as basements and water issues, you should definitely talk to a structural engineer about the basement and have the water tested. You can contact your local County Health Department for the water issue. They usually have someone who can test water for you. The basement would definitely be a structural question and completely out of my area of expertise. Good luck with everything!