Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Tampa : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info157
  • Home Buying840
  • Home Selling84
  • Market Conditions86

Activity 109
Thu Jun 1, 2017
Amy Jo asked:
Sat May 20, 2017
Dalinden1210 asked:
The property is correctly listed with Keller Williams Lakewood Ranch but your listing shows the agent's name as Toliver Jones with Century 21. The listing agent is Carlos Santana with…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu May 11, 2017
Diane Christner answered:
Who pays what should be spelled out in your sales contract.

Seller generally pays any real estate commissions, unless your contract specifies otherwise.

One of the larger expenses is the title search, exam and new title insurance policy. In some areas of FL it is customary for the seller to pay that expense, in other areas it is a buyer expense.

Sellers are generally responsible for paying the doc stamps to the state of FL on the deed. Those run 70 cents per $100 and are based on the sales price.

Property taxes and any HOA dues are generally prorated at closing. If you are in a HOA, the closing agent will require the seller to cover the cost of getting an estoppel letter from your HOA.

If you have a mortgage, that will be paid off at closing and the closing agent will typically charge you a nominal fee.

If you are doing it on your own (FSBO), I would strongly suggest having a local real estate attorney put together the sales contract of agreed upon terms between you and the buyer. The state of FL requires a number of disclosures by sellers to buyers, you don't want to let ignorance of the law put you in a situation where the buyers could later sue you.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 23, 2017
LibbyD asked:
We listed our home and received an offer. Another buyer who had previously seen our home begged to bring his spouse to see it before we accepted the first offer. We accommodated them, and…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 20, 2017
Jonathan Klurfeld, Esq. answered:
If you are in contract you should retain an attorney. You may have to have the house re-wired to meet code, or give the buyer credit so that they can re-wire.
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Mar 3, 2017
Mott Marvin Kornicki answered:
The link below should give you the info. Many "Teams" use unlicensed assistants to handle some types of duties and assignments.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 23, 2017
UpNest answered:
Yes, there are flat free realtors in the Tampa area but you need to know where to look. Have you tried utilizing the platform You can find a realtor who only charges a flat fee in Tampa and ask them questions prior to hiring. Sign up is free! ... more
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 18, 2016
Jordan answered:

I am working with a small Realty & Property management company here in the Tampa Bay area. We have been in the industry for over 20 years and we are a Tampa Native family company. Most of our tenants and clients have stayed in touch over the years and have become very close friends.

If you are still having trouble with your situation, feel free to give us a call. We would love to be of assistance - 813-739-8991.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jul 12, 2016
Alma Kee answered:
Hire an attorney to protect your interests. The same attorney can also close the sale. Do NOT go with an attorney recommended by the buyer.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jun 22, 2016
Diane Christner answered:
The term is actually doc stamps, or documentary stamps. The state of FL charges sellers 70 cents per every $100 of the sales price as a transfer fee. You cannot avoid the tax if you are selling a property. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Apr 26, 2016
Cyberduderic asked:
It is 14x60,body type is HS,2 bedroom,2 bathroom,metal roof,singlewide,vin number is FLFL1AC277001998.Excellent condition. The United States government just done a makeover inside and outside…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 11, 2016
Alma Kee answered:

Properties that show well and are priced correctly are selling VERY quickly in Seminole Heights.

You may want to wait until the tenants are out because the first two weeks a property is listed is the most crucial and if buyers cannot even get an appointment or if it doesn't show well.

Also with difficult tenants you may have to be very careful about potential lawsuits so might as well keep it simple and list after the tenants move out and the house is ready to show.

All the best,
Alma Rose Kee, PA
Heroes Team
Future Home Realty
"We give back 25% of our commissions to our Heroes: Teachers, Military, Police, Firefighters, Health Workers"
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Mar 30, 2016
Brody asked:
Tue Jan 19, 2016
Kathy Burgreen answered:
You can go to and post your listing there. Fizber will post your listing on Trulia and other websites.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 21, 2015
Diane Christner answered:
There's nothing that says the seller's agent has to be present at inspections, but many agents (myself included) think it's a good idea.

The listing agent's job is to represent the seller in the transaction. The home inspection is a critical part of the process. By attending the inspection the listing agent can observe first hand any issues that the inspector raises and can point them out later to the seller. If anything is damaged during the inspection process, the agent will be able to explain later to the seller what happened and the seller can then decide if they wish to pursue the buyer for money to repair the damages.

If you are a seller, this is a topic to take up with your agent before the inspections, as not all agents do attend inspections if they represent the seller's side.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 11, 2015
My NC Homes Team answered:
talk to your agent. I assure you no one at Trulia ever reads these questions, they are for other professionals to respond to. Consumers need to realize neither Trulia or Zillow are "in real estate" They are nothing more than Internet Advertisers, they no nothing ab out real estate in general or specific, they vet none of the information they present and in my opinion go out of their way to mislead the public into beleiving they are actively in real estate. Anyone who has dealt with them for any length of time knows the accuracey of the information they present is barely 65% ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Oct 26, 2015
Erin Wilhite answered:
Yes. The agents are "co-listing" agents. While this option is discouraged, there are some circumstances where this might be useful. If you are selling a luxury vacation home and desire exposure in multiple market, you might want agents with access to different Multiple Listing Services. But it would be better if you choose one agent and let them recommend a few people they have worked with before on this type of deal, then interview them. This way, you will know they will both work together for your successful sale. ... more
0 votes 18 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 10, 2015
UpNest Top Realtors answered:
Hi Dorothy,

The only way to get your FSBO home listed on Trulia is to have it listed on the MLS. Only agents have access, but you could also pay for what's called a flat fee listing service if you want to sell by owner (generally not a good idea).

We created UpNest ( to help home sellers get the best value possible. All you have to do is submit a few details about your home, and we'll invite several top local agents to submit proposals to you.

Since agents are competing to earn your listing, they bring out their best commission rates and value added services, saving you a lot of money. There's no risk to try us at all, and it's completely free for you.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Apr 19, 2015
Raisa Richards answered:
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice