Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Spring Valley : Real Estate Advice

  • All63
  • Local Info16
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions6

Activity 2
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Rena Levy answered:
Thank you Robert!!!

Rena Levy
Certified International Property Specialist
Realty Executives of Nevada
702-612-7099 direct
Skype: rinalevy18 ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 10, 2013
Susan Chang answered:
You are in Fort Lauderdale and not Los Angeles. I would recommend that if you have the funds, please consult with an experienced local eviction attorney so you know what are all of your options. If you do not have the funds and enjoy the Do-it- yourself process, I would suggest you either go to Amazon for the most current eviction reference books or join your local Apartment owners' association. I personally work in sales at Keller Williams Realty but have been managing residential rental properties since 1988. Laws constantly change all the time so you must keep up to date with the current laws to avoid any potential liabilities and fines. If you are going to be a Landlord in any state, be prepared and educate yourself.

You did not give much details so I will give the basic eviction overview from the Landlord's perspective.
In the case of non-payment of rent, give a 3-day notice. You may serve the tenant yourself or hire someone who is familiar with the process of serving tenant/landlord notices ( individual must be over 18-years old ) or better yet, hire a local process server. Eviction attorneys use professional process servers.

After 3-day notice served, tenant may either pay the total past due rent stated on the 3-day notice or ignore notice. In the case of continued non-payment, you now file eviction papers at the appropriate courthouse. You must be very careful with how you count the 3-day period. In Los Angeles, if the 3rd day of the 3-day period falls on a weekend, you need to give additional business day. If you do not and proceed to trial, the judge who presides over your eviction will dismiss your eviction and you will have lost all the time spent getting your case to trial, all your money paid for filing at the courthouse, and your unpaid rent continues to accrue.

If you are familiar with the legal technicalities and adhered to the proper procedures, there should be a money judgement and possession of property awarded by the judge. I am being very general here because there may be any variety of responses by the tenant which would require you to take the appropriate actions.

Possession of property requires the Sheriff ( in Los Angeles County) to facilitate eventual lock out and removal of tenant from property, thereby, giving you the possession of the property so you may immediately fix and prepare the property for renting.

This is why I strongly advise you to get consultation with an experienced eviction attorney who can guide and take care of this very complicated process. I began my management career learning how to properly fill out the huge volume of paperwork and file all the eviction cases myself . I can imagine how daunting this eviction can be for someone new and uninformed.

I hope this is helpful. This is a general overview
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice