Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Spotsylvania : Real Estate Advice

  • All20
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 17
Tue May 9, 2017
Kathy Burgreen answered:
If he is your ex, I would have him sign a lease to pay you rent. Since it's likely he can't afford rent, you can garnish his salary which would require a court petition.

A more realistic approach is contact your attorney who handled your divorce. Your attorney should be able to file eviction proceedings to remove your ex from your home. The consequences of an eviction is your husband's credit will be further ruined and even worse, landlords refuse to take in tenants who have an eviction. Evictions are proof that the tenant does not pay rent. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Apr 9, 2017
Rachel asked:
We are 2 months into the short sale process to purchase a home and the negotiator asked the listing agent to raise the price even though we are the only offer that is being worked on right…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 13, 2017
2seniortylers asked:
Need to know what houses are selling for. May be selling ours.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 11, 2016
Rebecca morris answered:
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 25, 2016
Amelia Robinette answered:
there are 8 fawn lake rentals listed in the MLS since 1/1/2015, they rented from $2500 - $3500, over 4,000 sq ft are at the high end.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue May 26, 2015
Alan May answered:
First, we don't know any of the details of your ratified contract, so we're not in a position to comment.
Second, we are not attorneys, so we're not qualified to comment.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 1, 2015
Jim Acors answered:
The most common loan being used in the Spotsylvania area is a FHA loan which requires 3.5% of the sales price down, however a lot of Spotsylvania, Caroline and King George all have $0 down loan programs ( USDA and VHDA) and of course if you are eligible for a VA loan that is also $0 down.

Another fee to keep in mind is the costs associated with closing on a home which will most likely be at least a couple thousand dollars. It use to be common to ask for 3% of the sales price in closing costs assistance, but with our local market being so strong it is starting to change.

Another challenge is going to be finding a home around $100,000, while it is definitely possible there is a limited amount of inventory at that price range. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to answer them.

Jim Acors
Realty World Select
1171 Central Park Blvd #200
Fredericksburg Va 22401
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 18, 2014
Joseph Roraff answered:
I would suggest that if you feel your REALTOR is giving you an unfair selling price to check around with a couple other agents to see if they come up with the same selling price. Also ask your REALTOR for specifics on how they came up with the price point. ... more
1 vote 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 10, 2013
Bob Murphy answered:
I am interested in Purchasing this Property. Please have the Owner contact me via email first,

And, via phone call Second. ( 410 ) 730 - 7551


Bob Murphy
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 26, 2013
Beth Pannell answered:
Hello, I am Beth a Realtor with 1st Choice Better Homes & Land in Fredericksburg, Chris's advice is great. Some other options maybe to contact Habitat For Humanity or the Salvation Army they maybe able to pick up some large items, if they are able to be donated. Another option maybe to sell anything left in the home with value to help offset the expenses of the clean out and repair. :) ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 25, 2013
Ryan Frey answered:
Hey Scott, I am a buyer agent here in Fredeicksburg. what price range are you looking in? Would be more than happy to help.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 30, 2012
sonykim60 answered:
$35000 is too low.

Sony Kim
Associate Broker
Keller Williams
703 244 3997
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 27, 2012
Dwayne Moyers answered:
Additional information you should know involves the disclosure of potential short sales in future listings. The changes coming to listings through the Metropolitan Regional Listing Service (MRIS) includes the status of distressed sales. The information provided below was a recent message sent to agents from MRIS. This should help with future home searches.

We are working on providing a consistent, more accurate method for entering and searching for distressed properties. Starting next week, a new Transaction Type field will be added to Matrix and Keystone. All listings must be categorized as one of the following:
Standard sale refers to a property which is available for sale without third party involvement or approval.
Potential Short Sale refers to any property that is underwater and the sale is subject to bank approval.
Foreclosure refers to a property that is subject to foreclosure proceedings. Until the foreclosure proceedings are finalized, the seller still owns the property.
REO (Real Estate Owned) properties are bank or lender owned.
Other/Undisclosed should be selected when you do not have your seller’s permission to disclose the property as a distressed sale.

It will be the sellers decision to disclose if a home is a potential short sale.

Dwayne Moyers, Realtor
Long and Foster Realtors (Woodbridge Office)
Maryanne Moyers, Associate Broker
Long and Foster Realtors (Fredericksburg Office)
Top 2% of Realtors Nationwide
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 27, 2010
Stacy Carter answered:
Depending on where you live, you might be able to market the home for sale, contents & all. It's not extremely common to find buyers looking specifically for furnished homes, but if it can be considered resort or second home material, you might have a better shot.

In the end, you might be better off having an estate sale to sell the contents and then deal with the marketing of the vacant home for sale.

Good luck!
Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 19, 2010
Ron Rovtar answered:
Hi Sue:

Like many agents here, I always suggest you talk to experts like your CPA. Sometimes talking to more than one expert is useful. Today, there are a number of solutions to problems like yours, including a short sale, a loan modification and deed in lieu of foreclosure (signing over the deed to your property and walking away if the bank will allow this). It would be a good idea to talk to a foreclosure avoidance counselor. Free services are listed for each state on the HUD website. (See the link in the Web Reference area below.) You should also check with local governments to see if they have a recommendation for such services.

The main thing is to make sure you are well informed about all your options and their ramifications for you. Since you are currently keeping up your minimum payments, you probably can take the time to educate yourself and find the best solution for you.

Ron Rovtar
Prudential Real Estate of the Rockies
Boulder, CO
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 30, 2010
Michael Straley answered:
Often times and most logically commission paid is relevant to services offered. Compare your Realtor presentations, communication skills and strong marketing and negotiation skills which can bring you more dollars in price and thereby compensate for the price paid for their services. You have the ability to call the shots, after all you own the property. Make sure however, that you are more than penny wise when evaluating not only the analysis of what your home might sell for but the education, authority and experience of the one you choose to Represent you!

Rebecca Straley
Licensed Broker in the State of Virginia
701 Kenmore Avenue #220
Fredericksburg, VA.. 22401

Direct 540-834-6263
Office 540-479-4444

Follow me on twitter:
Fan us on Facebook and see our Latest Listings
Over 20 million sold in 2009!

Specializing in:
Estate Property Sales and Marketing
Metro Virginia Buyer Representation
REO Corporate Relationships
Designated Foreclosure and Short Sale Transaction Representative
Global Marketing through Technology
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Spotsylvania Zip Codes