Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in South Holland : Real Estate Advice

  • All45
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying11
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 24
Mon Aug 28, 2017
Electrodalmatia asked:
Wed Mar 30, 2016
Karen Peyton answered:
Use the "Find an Agent" tab to locate an agent in the area. Once you do, CALL them. Email can be overlooked.

Good luck!
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun May 17, 2015
Dan Tabit answered:
Lenders use the middle of 3 scores that they obtain from Transunion, Equifax & Experian. There are some lenders who will consider doing an FHA loan as low as 580, but just because you are over that score doesn't guarantee an approval.
Improving your scores can take time, but some lenders assist with this. Ask around for lenders who offer FHA at 580 or assist with credit repair or both.
Some credit repair steps to consider until then. Keep your credit balances low, 1/3 or less of your limit will pull your scores up. Pay everyone on time or early. Don't close any accounts or pay off any old collections as they will drop your scores. Dispute any errors with each agency reporting them.
Best of luck.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 11, 2015
Jeff Nobleza answered:
Call Erik Miles to do your closing. He's at 312-854-8092 or at
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 22, 2014
Cory Trevor answered:
I would recommend that you hold off on the car loan. Mortgage lenders tend to be picky about your debt-to-income ratio. Regardless of whether or not you would get approved, it is not the best idea to build up so much debt in such a short amount of time.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 21, 2014
Dan Tabit answered:
This is a question you should only accept the answer your LO gives you. Without knowing more, and they do, our advice could easily be wrong. When I did loans one of the worst thing my borrowers could do is take advice from others not involved with the file. Fixing credit is as much art as science and they know what is going on, we don't. Please ask them, then take their advice. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 2, 2014
Bob Brandt answered:
That is what you should do, but you may be too late. Your Realtor can advise you further.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Jan 31, 2014
David James answered:
The total amount of debt in collections is not going to have much of an affect on your credit scores. The number of collection accounts and their age does. If you are going by scores you saw online, they are not accurate at all. You need to speak to a lender who will pull your credit to see your actual mortgage credit scores. I would be happy to help, if I cannot find you a lender to approve you, I can send you our credit guide for free to show you exactly what you can do to increase your credit scores. We work with a couple of lenders that work with poor credit hopefully we could find you a lender to help. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 9, 2013
Suzanne Hamilton answered:
Earnest money is negotiable. But I use a rule of thumb of 1% of the sales price for fha, 2-3% of the sales price for conventional and 10% of the sales price for cash.

Foreclosure properties may dictate the amount you need to put in. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Sep 14, 2013
Suzanne Hamilton answered:

Only a loan officer can tell you your situation. Pay off all your debts and in 60-90 days your score can be rerun. You need about 80-100 points in order to be eligible for a home loan. In the meantime, use your secured credit card for one thing around $50 or so (one tank of gas) each month and pay off at the end of the month. Credit cards can be your best friend or worst enemy with credit correction. Pay off each month and stay at least below 50% of your credit limit each month.

I have a good lender I can refer you to. Please feel free to contact me.

Suzanne Hamilton
RE Homes Source
Managing Broker/Owner
... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 27, 2013
Chris Fischer answered:
Hello Anthony, we work closely with investors who purchase all over the south suburbs, and have helped many of them purchase investment properties in South Holland. Feel free to contact us directly at (708)921-0035 (Dan K), and we can go over your criteria and send you some profitable investment properties available. Thanks! ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 5, 2013
Scott Kuzminski answered:
I would imagine someone willing to lend without any backing info would be hard to find and would want collateral.....times are brutal out there. Cant imagine anyone freely dispensing loans without collateral and/or the "other stuff".....If you are not willing to give out info on the other stuff sounds like you really dont have the collateral or backing evidence that you can carry thru paying that loan back. In that case, you would prob be relegated to street level lending, as in, illicit, and, if you don;t pay back you get wacked kind of lending......cant imagine anyone willing to lend without proof you can pay back, even on the shady/illicit side...everyone needs some way of knowing their loan will be paid back....suffice it to say, even if you could, you wont find that type of lending on the web...would be word of mouth if anything... ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Jul 13, 2013
scott.kuzminski answered:
Lisa, I live in South Holland, am an agent out there, and am very familiar with what could be available for a day care center and what could be zoned as such.....if you want me to do some legwork for you on that, call my cell at 708 238-9688 and I will take a long hard search for you here for something you could use/lease/buy for a day care center here

Scott Kuzminski
Prospect Equities residential and commercial real estate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jul 8, 2013
Suzanne Hamilton answered:
Yes - typically fannie mae properties require that even if you are an investor, you must wait 90 days to turn over the deed - so close on a property. The only exception is if you sell for the same price you purchased at, which is less likely.

If you purchase as an owner occupant, you typically need to live there for 1 year before you sell.

Check the fannie mae addendum to the contract, which details any restrictions they may have.
... more
1 vote 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 9, 2013
Edith Karoline Jasser answered:
First of all you should work with a good local Realtor, who will prepare your rental application ahead of being ready to apply for a rental property. You can give a home owner a lot of information other than
your credit score, that will make them feel comfortable to rent to you, often it is proof of income, and
higher security deposit, sometimes a longer rental period. All kinds of things, open honest and straight forward, and on occasion meet with the homeowners....

But a good Realtor in your corner to advise you will be a great help for you and that one trusted Realtor
will be able to find you a rental property. It is also important for you and your Realtor to figure out what
amount of rent you are comfortable with and you can actually afford...

Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more or
Check out my website at
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Ramona Turner answered:
Did you find the property that you wanted to rent or rent-to-own? There are properties available. Send me an e-mail if you would like for my company to assist you with this process? My e-mail is Also, sign-up for the next “Things and Careers to know to Make and Save Money - in Real Estate”. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Ramona Turner answered:
What you can do is have a Home Inspection completed, and either have a realtor complete a CMA (which is less expensive) than an appraiser. Send me an e-mail if you would like for my company to complete one for you? My e-mail is Also, sign-up for the next “Things and Careers to know to Make and Save Money”. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 17, 2012
Ramona Turner answered:
There are several ways that you can start cleaning foreclosure homes. I have taught several students that very process. If you would like to attend the next Workshop send me an e-mail - ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Home Buying in South Holland Zip Codes