looking for sm. house with acres $50,000. need a small decent house with room for horses 4 acres.

Asked by Marietta Mancini, Memphis, TN Mon Sep 22, 2008

Need to be in an area where I can make a living. ( have a couple of small retail business in a local flea market. I like the Altoona, Clearfield, Snowshoe area. Have cash e-mail at bighorse john@hotmail.com

Answers

2
Edenza, , Pennsylvania
Mon Jun 29, 2009
I see this was a while ago but I hope you didn't follow the advice above. Go where YOU want to go, not where some realtor tells you to go, esp when she does so by ripping down another area of the state where she doesn't have any listings. Ask yourself if that's the kind of person you want for a neighbor.

In the area you're asking about, you can find some decent land & houses but I doubt you will for $50k. You may however be able to get a nice parcel of land and use a trailer until you can save enough for building. I know there are people w/ horses in Altoona and Duncansville. There's an alpaca farm in Duncansville as well. Also look in the Penn Cambria School District. Land prices are reasonable here and you can find more acreage, including farms of all sizes. Our place on about 3 acres w/ a 4 br 20-yr old house ran just under $300k.

Good luck to you.
Mim Heisey, , Shippensburg, PA
Tue Sep 23, 2008
Marietta
Good luck finding that combination- not impossible perhaps, but difficult.
The combination of available jobs & distance to communities with other ammenities (hospitals, shopping centers, etc) also drives home prices. Property prices in the more rural areas(Snowshoe, Clearfield Co) are lower because there are typically not many opportunities for employment.
Here in S Central PA the homes prices are higher, and so are the employment opportunities. We have some of the lowest unemployment in the state and a strong economy, so people have money to spend-at flea markets and elsewhere. We also have higher real estate property prices.
You might consider taking the cash you have, and use it as a downpayment on a property in an area that has better job possibilities.

Just a thought.

PLease feel free to cal if I can be of assistance
Mim Heisey
REALTOR GRI 717-360-8808
HALE REAL ESTATE 717-532-2814