We are green card holders. My husband is a retired govt. in India. Can we get house loan in US? We can fixed deposit $100,000 in bank.

Asked by Vijayaabhi.vemuri, Redmond, WA Sat Jan 21, 2012

Answers

5
Chuck Sparks, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Sun Jan 22, 2012
Vijayaabhi,

This question would best be answered by a mortgage lender or bank officer. If you currently have a bank in which you have an established account I would suggest you contact their loan department. If you are searching for a good mortgage lender for advice I have a few I have worked with in the past and would be happy to recommend to you. If I can ever help you find that Redmond home please let me know i would be happy to help.
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Sun Jan 22, 2012
"One of the loan officers that works at a bank near my office told me about the OFAC list and the SDN list and she told me people on these lists can not get a loan from a U.S. bank?"

Your original statement did not speak of "people" on a list, it spoke of "countries" on a list. You said: "last time I checked India wasn't on the list."

I am telling you that there is no list of banned countries whose citizens with US green cards cannot get US mortgages. If there is a list of actual people banned from getting US mortgages, I have no idea about that with the exception of CAIVRS, but that's not what you said and not what I responded to.
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Sun Jan 22, 2012
Hey Gregorio, Maybe you can help me understand? One of the loan officers that works at a bank near my office told me about the OFAC list and the SDN list and she told me people on these lists can not get a loan from a U.S. bank? Is she giving me wrong information?
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Sat Jan 21, 2012
"The banks in the U.S. won't loan to people from certain countries that the U.S. don't allow them to loan to and the last time I checked India wasn't on the list."

First of all, there is no list. If you have a green card you are eligible, it doesn't make a lick of difference what country you come from. there may be questions about your income and sourcing down payment if from a non-US bank, but these can be overcome. Please speak to an actual licensed loan officer in your state for accurate information.
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Sat Jan 21, 2012
Yes you can as long as you qualify with the bank. The banks in the U.S. won't loan to people from certain countries that the U.S. don't allow them to loan to and the last time I checked India wasn't on the list. I just had home buyers with green cards so if you need any other information you can e-mail me or give me a call.

Alain Picard
253-922-6220
apicard@betterproperties.com