Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Sherburne County : Real Estate Advice

  • All0
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 45
UpNest Top R…, Real Estate Pro in Burlingame, CA
Wed Jun 29, 2016
UpNest Top Realtors answered:
There are solutions such as flat fee listing services that can help you get your home on the MLS for a small fee in comparison to agent commissions.

However, most research shows that if you factor in FSBO issues such as pricing mistakes, lack of negotiation, a smaller buyer pool, and more, you'll end up costing yourself way more than the agent's commission.

We built a tool to help home sellers decide if you should sell by owner or with a Realtor. Just answer a few questions at

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Peter Weiss, Home Buyer in Maple Grove, MN
Fri Jan 15, 2016
Peter Weiss asked:
Sheila, Home Buyer in Big Lake, MN
Fri Dec 25, 2015
Sheila asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Simon Watson, Real Estate Pro in Walnut Creek, CA
Fri Apr 24, 2015
Simon Watson answered:
One way for sale by owners to show up on the Trulia listings is to
post it on a web site called FIZBER.COM, it will show up on Truila within 24-48 hours

Simon Watson
Keller Williams Realty-East Bay
VA Buyer Experts
(925) 286-7112
(510) 859-4773
BRE 01881304
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
John and Bec…, Real Estate Pro in Woodbury, MN
Wed Apr 22, 2015
John and Becky Durham answered:
When you are logged in to Trulia, you will find your name in the upper right corner. Hover your mouse over it, then select "My Listings" from the drop down menu. Click on edit listing and then go through the steps to add photos and listing details.

John Durham
Durham Executive Group
RE/MAX Results, Woodbury, MN
(651) 231-2191
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
cschierholz, Both Buyer and Seller in Elk River, MN
Tue Jan 20, 2015
cschierholz answered:
Hey April,

Are you still looking for a rent to own home?

I have one that should be available in the next couple of weeks!

For more info on the house call or text me at: (763) 220-3799 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Ryan Moss, Real Estate Pro in Becker, MN
Thu Oct 30, 2014
Ryan Moss answered:
It sold for $188,000 10/15

If you have anymore questions or would like a Free Market Value Analysis on your home, I am a local agent in Big Lake and can help with any of your Real Estate needs.
Thank You,

Ryan Moss
Edina Realty-Monticello
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Elva Wormley, Real Estate Pro in San Jose, CA
Wed Jun 25, 2014
Elva Wormley answered:
Hi Delisha,

How is the mortgage from that home reported on your credit report? Was it paid as agreed?

The underwriter may be trying to determine if it was a short sale.

Best regards,

Elva A. Wormley
Mortgage Consultant
Office (408) 615-8500
C2 Financial Corporation
2845 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 209
San Jose, CA 95128
NMLS #331981 / BRE #01274093
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Matt Christe…,  in Prior Lake, MN
Sat Jan 18, 2014
Matt Christensen answered:
Others have summed it up well, contact a mortgage professional.

my 2 cents, do not just start paying off any judgments and old accounts. This can actually hurt your credit. (I know it is asinine) but if you make a payment on an account that has not reported on your credit in a while then it will become a current trade line and be weighted as more important than something a few years or even months old.

If I see items like this in a persons credit profile I can connect them with a credit repair company that can help get these items taken care of in the best way for your overall credit score.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Christopher…, Real Estate Pro in Bloomington, MN
Thu Jan 16, 2014
Christopher Block answered:
Those are all important factors that determine value. A professional Realtor can help you as a buyer, and determining value is one of our very important functions. We don't cost anything to work with, so check out some of us on Trulia and give it a try!

Good Luck

~Chris Block
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Christopher…, Real Estate Pro in Bloomington, MN
Tue Oct 15, 2013
Christopher Block answered:
1) The easiest, and probably most preferable to you (since you are building a house), is to have the builder fix the items needed to make the title right. It is THEIR responsibility not yours, but full disclosure I am not an attorney.

But it is the builder's responsibility to make sure the home compliant and provide clear title (you can't get financing without it so that is one route financing addendum), so it just seems common sense to me. If you walk away they are going to have to finish the home regardless, and they can't just pass those fixes to the next buyer (does not increase value of home).

It does stink that you will have to wait longer, but better to find out now then after you tried to close.

2) You can most likely cancel the contract with no problems and get refunded your earnest money. It is just a matter of how the language is set up.

I am guessing you are not using a Realtor in this transaction? Seems like you just got baptized on why Realtors should be used even in new construction. The listing agent representing the builder (if he had one) should have caught this month's ago, but that is one of our jobs as buyer's agents in these transactions too.

The lot being a foreclosure means absolutely nothing about these covenants. That is just a blatant excuse.

If you need a attorney referral I can certainly pass one onto you that I have used with other clients of mine. None of us on here can completely tell you 100% what your legal rights are. Without seeing the PA we can't say much more than what I have already done so.

Good Luck and stay positive!

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Russ Douville,  in Saint Paul, MN
Mon Jul 22, 2013
Russ Douville answered:
You can certainly buy a home. The real question is - can you get financing, and if so, what are the terms.

From your question it seems you are nearly three years out from the foreclosure, so come September all the government loans are an option: FHA, VA, USDA/Rural Development. Further, since you have not had an ownership interest in a principle residence in the past three years, you will be eligible for first time buyer loans like the MN Housing loans, or City Living, with their lower interest rates and maybe even down payment assistance, assuming you meet the program guidelines.

Finally, if this is a "wrongful foreclosure", it may be possible to have it removed from your credit history. Maybe. In which case you could also look at conventional financing.

I would be happy to take a closer look at your situation and let you know what we can finance for you.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Becky Turner, Real Estate Pro in Maple Grove, MN
Tue May 14, 2013
Becky Turner answered:

That is a tough one. Have you spoken to a mortgage broker to see if you can qualify to purchase a home? Even if you have had a foreclosure or short sale or a bankruptcy or a combination of them, you would be surprised that you can purchase. I have had many clients purchase after 3 years of a short sale or foreclosure and 2 years after a bankruptcy. It is always a good idea to speak to a mortgage officer to see where you credit is. Pick a lender that can help you rescore your credit. As always, feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. Your local Realtor. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Russ Douville,  in Saint Paul, MN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Russ Douville answered:
Long ago in mortgage history there was a time when a down payment of 50% meant you could get a loan. There was also a time when having a foreclosure on your credit report meant you couldn't get a mortgage.

Today, even with a healthy down payment a borrower typically needs to wait three years or more after a foreclosure to get a mortgage loan, and you will need good credit. Not necessarily a great credit score, but your creditt report will need to show that you have borrowed money (credit cards, car loans, etc) since the foreclosure, and that you pay as agreed (no late payments, charge offs, or judgements).
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Russ Douville,  in Saint Paul, MN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Russ Douville answered:
There are lenders out there that can FHA mortgages for borrowers with scores below 580 who have big down payments, but realistically, you're best option is to work to get your scores all over 640 (or better if you can).

For help with that you can talk to a Homeownership/Credit counselor for free. There is of all the counselors everywhere in MN available at
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Russ Douville,  in Saint Paul, MN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Russ Douville answered:
In the current market it is unlikely you will be able to refinance a laon within three years of a foreclosure.

In the past, too many people bought a second home and allowed the first to go into foreclosure, or collected rent on an investment property while not making payments, and that ruined things for all of us. Mortgage lenders don't want to do mortgage loans for someone who didn't pay a past mortgage. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Russ Douville,  in Saint Paul, MN
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Russ Douville answered:
It's unlikely that you will be able to refinace in the first three years after a foreclosure regardless of your equity position.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Rachel Fredr…, Real Estate Pro in Coon Rapids, MN
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Rachel Fredrickson answered:

That first home! What an exciting time for your family! It can be overwhelming if you let it, so make sure I'm glad that you are reaching out and educating yourself.

Start the process by talking to a mortgage person or two to see how much home you qualify for. Lenders have different programs that they specialize in. After you've figured out how much ($$) home you want to buy it is time to contact a Realtor. Buyers do not pay realtors (sellers do). So there is no charge to you for hiring a Realtor to represent your best interest. A realtor can assist in your search for 'that' home.

Some things to be aware of when buying. You will need between $500-2000 for earnest money on pre-existing. Earnest money is money that you put down on a home when you make an offer. It shows the seller that you are serious about buying. It only gets deposited if the offer is accepted and is usually refundable if something goes wrong during the process. It gets credited toward the purchase at closing. If you decide to go the new construction route, you will need a larger amount up front for a pre-build deposit (3.5%-20,000 - each builder is different). It is non-refundable as the builder is building 'your' home.

You will need between $300-500 for an inspection of the home after you and a seller have reached agreement on terms of a sale. This is money you pay at the time of inspection.

That should get you started! Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Graciesharon, Renter in Elk River, MN
Sun Dec 2, 2012
Graciesharon asked:
This question was asked from this property:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Donald James, Real Estate Pro in Edina, MN
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Donald James answered:
The short answer is yes, you can. Some counties may have down payment assistance available as well. You will need adequate income to make mortgage payments, and a decent credit score. I can put you in touch with our lender to talk to. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice
Popular Cities in Sherburne County