Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Shelby : Real Estate Advice

  • All26
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 13
Wed Dec 9, 2015
Dhop3513 asked:
Fri Jul 18, 2014
Christine asked:
I am renting to own a home in Shelby. We have a contract, and I paid a substaintial amount down. My circumstances have changed, and I doubt I will be able to qualify for a mortgage. What…
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 28, 2013
My NC Homes Team answered:

You may not be qualified to buy a home, generally it's advisable to get your financing lined up before you start looking for homes. If you have access to a credit union, I'd suggest speaking with them first. If not. you should check out the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency which is designed for first time buyers like yourself who may need some assistance.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 10, 2013
Andrew Martinez answered:
Wow Spamming Trulia Jessica. Same Answer on 50 different posts

Way to offer great insight to the Trulia community.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 26, 2013
Marlene Peeler answered:
The RO district in Shelby does allow residential use, as well as offices and some retail uses. You should be able to use 1232 S Lafayette St as a dwelling but if you have specific questions about it you can call the Community Development Office at 704-484-6829 and ask for the zoning department. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 21, 2012
Ren Ramsey answered:
As a Shelby Home Inspector, my opinion is that Shelby is very safe and a great place to raise a family.
1 vote 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Busibeth asked:
This question was asked from
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 14, 2012
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
Make sure you really understand what is involved in a "rent with an option to buy" agreement.

I think many consumers mistakenly think they simply pay rent, and at the end of the term all their rent is applied to the purchase price, in the event they buy the house.
They think if it doesn't work out, they just walk away.

This isn't usually the case.

Usually the price is determined right at the onset, so you have to be comfortable with an agreed-to price NOW without knowing what the market will be like at the end of the term................then, there is also "option" money that is NON-REFUNDABLE paid to the seller --------this can either be paid as an upfront lump sum, or, monthly, as an amount OVER and ABOVE the normal market rent for the property. That additional amount would be credited towards the purchase price......or forfeited if the sale doesn't close.

Be very careful!
If you don't qualify NOW for a mortgage due to bad credit..........make darn sure you will be in a position to qualify at the end of the lease term......otherwise, your upfront, option money will be lost.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Mar 25, 2012
Jim Simms answered:
It depends on what your dad wants to do with the house. It is his, not yours. He could donate it to his church if he wants.

Sorry about your financial troubles, sounds like your dad has gone above and beyond the call of fatherhood. Asking about your rights implies you want some advantage over your dad. That doesn’t sound right to me after everything he’s done for you, well, regardless if he’s helped or not, it doesn’t sound right.

I suggest you stop calling it “my home” unless your dad says it is your home, offer to buy it from him.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Cassandra Black, Consultant answered:
Also register your business with NACA. You can register as a contractor in various areas. Great, little-known, outlet for real estate contracting work on several levels. (See Trulia post below with more info.) ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 17, 2011
ruby smith answered:
ask the best agent for vacant land in Cleveland County NC. Have them produce comps and sit down and go through them with you
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Nov 17, 2011
Dallas Texas answered:
A real estate agent would be able to provide your specified info. Review the agents on Trulia contact an agent direct. Not all agents in specific area see all questions posted here on Trulia ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 24, 2010
Donna Sutton answered:
Shakita, have you found a house for a daycare yet? I just listed a property you may be interested in. Give me a call and I will tell you about it. 704-470-7147. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Donna Sutton
Gateway Properties
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Shelby Zip Codes