Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Shafer : Real Estate Advice

  • All4
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying4
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 4
Wed Apr 9, 2014
gaylefla asked:
My house has severe structural damage and I am walking away from it. Insurance does not cover it.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Susan Hofflander answered:
Hi, Shawn!
The stove and the fridge are considered "personal property", which means they are not something permanently affixed to the dwelling/building. So, it's legal for you to take them. Some people do. I would say it's more appropriate if you actually purchased these items separately rather than they were part of the home when you purchased, but follow your own heart. If it's what's best for you and your family, then that's what you should do.

Good luck to you!!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Irina Karan answered:
As many of the agents will testify, people do take a lot of things out of the foreclosed property.
We can only be guessing, but probably most "takers" feel that whatever they take is still
legally theirs.

After taking a property in a foreclosure law suit, banks sell the property "as is".

Can we, as agents, tell you to go ahead and do it? - No.

Best thing you can do right now is to meet with the Certified Distressed Property Expert agent
in your area. Go to and find an expert on short sales there.

Best of luck!

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed May 4, 2011
Amy answered:
You can take the stove, fridge, and microwave as long as it is not "attached" to the wall in a permanent fashion. In addition, if you leave your home in fair, clean condition you may be able to get cash for keys from your future listing agent if you cooperate and reside in the home up until redemption ends. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Search Advice