is austin a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Nikita Relf, Ashburn, Chicago, IL Fri Mar 16, 2012

Answers

6
Barbara Barker’s answer
Barbara Bark…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Mar 16, 2012
There are some nice parts by Columbus Park. It's a lot cheaper than Oak Park. If you are looking for good schools... Oak Park would be a much better choice, but be prepared to pay triple for rentals or sales.
Ivan Sagel, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Apr 23, 2012
Hi Nikita,

My brother taught at a CPS Charter school in the Austin neighborhood. There are some great kids there.

Professionally speaking, I can't comment on safety and such. Visit the areas that you are interested in living at various times of day and on the weekend. If you can picture raising your family there, then it might just be right for you. If you wish to talk to me about purchasing a home, my services are free to you as a buyer.

Ivan Sagel
312-515-7823
IvanSagel@DwellOneRealty.com
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Mar 16, 2012
We agents cant answer questions like this. But I would suggest doing your own homework. Only you will know whats best for you and your family. Go there at different times of the day and night. Go on weekends, etc. Go around and speak with the neighbors. See how comfortable you feel. Best of luck!
Randall Lanc…, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Jan 6, 2013
Nikita,

Every neighborhood has pros and cons. May I suggest that you take advantage of my website http://www.idealhomesinchicagoland.com and review the neighborhoods and the homes they may offer. There are many Chicago based websites that you may take advantage of free of charge (like mine) that can assist you in determining an ideal location for you and your family. Please contact me if you have any questions in the Chicagoland market.
Health Profe…, , Chicago, IL
Fri Sep 14, 2012
I'm a married, master's degree-educated health professional with 3 young kids. My wife and I have lived in Austin for 4 years now. I can tell you that Austin is a place that can be great for raising your family. There are significant assets of the community such as larger home and property lot sizes, affordable home prices, ample green space, proximity to parks(both in Chicago and Oak Park), proximity to public transportation, and ethnic diversity. I have neighbors who are Central-American, African-American, Puerto Rican, Polish, and other European backgrounds. It's not necessarily the image of Austin that some might portray, but I can tell you that it exists on my block.

Something to keep in mind is that the Austin neighborhood is one of Chicago's largest by both population and land area. The variability of any particular part of Austin is relative to the immediate space surrounding it. In plain language, there are parts of Austin that are frankly unappealing for the issues of crime, noise, litter, and general decline. However, you would be wise to investigate the particular blocks/districts within Austin to make a sound decision.

I hope that this helps you and any others who are considering a move to the Austin neighborhood. =)
Bill J Delig…, Agent, Naperville, IL
Sun Mar 18, 2012
Austin is located on the West side of Chicago. At present homes and condos are selling at very affordable prices. To get a feel for the neighborhood, drive around at different times of the day.