Schools in 20782>Question Details

vmeleta, Other/Just Looking in East Point, GA

i'm thinking of moving to md from london, with an 13yrs old daughter, i would be grateful of any tips on good schools

Asked by vmeleta, East Point, GA Fri Sep 30, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 20782

I answered this because I know Realtors really can't offer advice on schools. I feel for them because I can only imagine how many times they get asked the question. I am a loan officer and we don't have that restriction.
I kept this site just because I knew on Trulia this would come up.

This is a pretty comprehensive site. Looks like for the entire country. I only looked at Montgomery where I live but there was some good info. Hope this helps and good luck on the search.

Brent Mendelson
Senior Loan Officer
Monarch Mortgage
600 Jefferson Plaza, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20852
240-403-1970 Direct
301-412-0259 Cell
Hello Vmeleta,

You are not alone - so many families make schools a priority in determining where they want to live. If you are not familiar with an area, it makes this decision very hard. Unfortunately, as Effy said below, Realtors cannot recommend a school or school district to clients. However, I do have a site (see below) that allows my clients to compare areas based on schools, crime statistics and basic demographics. If you go to my site and create an account, you can access my "Market Insider" program. This will allow you to compare different zip codes as far as schools, crime, community information and market analysis. This will give you the power to make an informed decision on where to purchase. Give it a try and let me know what you think. If you need help on the site, don't hesitate to call. Best of luck.

Jules Cole
Keller Williams Metro Team Realty
Web Reference:

Thanks for your question. Most of us are Realtors that you are asking and it is against our code of ethics to discuss which schools are better than others. I'm sure you can understand that it could lead to steering people into certain homes and giving a neighborhood a "bad name" while being unwarranted. For this reason, you won't get any opinions from us.

Now for answers, you've got those at your finger tips. The schools in Maryland are sectioned by the counties in Maryland. Of course you've got private and public schools. The public schools even have "magnets" and "charters". These type of public schools usually have a specialized focus like the arts or technology.

Anyway, you need to figure out which counties you are considering moving to and then look for those counties online. It looks like you are looking for a Washington DC suburb. If so, you are considering Prince George's County and Montgomery County. There are other neighboring counties but these border DC. Go online and look these public schools out.

She will be attending middle school and you can see how the different schools stack up against other in the same County as compared to the State averages. When you go on these sites there are many pieces of data that you'll want to consider. Your daughter will be entering high school soon too so keep the "feeder high school" in mind. In addition to test scores you can compare graduation rates, attendance rates, and SAT average scores. Different schools also may have different focuses and may offer different after school activities, clubs, and sports.

There is the right school for every child. What's good for your child may not good for another. I was an Elementary School teacher for 10 years and I can tell you that it's not all about the test scores. There are many factors to consider including what kind of learning environment, programs, etc. will your daughter thrive in.

I hope you found this helpful and I wish you all the luck in the world!

Effy Lamp
"Exceeding Expectations!"
Long and Foster Real Estate
Mobile: 410-456-6286
Office: 410-667-1900
Web Reference:
Hello vmeleta, You can go to WWW. to check out the Prince Georges public schools